1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Enthalpy in Throttle Process (Joule–Thomson expansion)

1. Dec 28, 2017 #1
    Why is it written that enthalpy (##H##) is constant for Joule-Thompson expansion? It seems the essence of this process is to convert from one pressure to another with no heat loss. How does that connect with enthalpy being constant? When I learned about enthalpy it seemed to be most relevant to systems at constant pressure. However in the Joule-Thompson effect the pressure is surely changing. Sources mention that the "flow work" is ## P_2V_2 - P_1V_1##. This leads to constant ##H## by conservation of energy. I guess I don't understand why the flow work is ##\Delta(PV)## and not ## \int P dV##. Maybe it also seems strange for me to think of a fluid doing work on itself or something. Anyway, I feel confused about this.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2017 #2
    Are you familiar with the derivation of the open-system (control volume) version of the first law of thermodynamics?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted