Enthalpy of a Reaction NH4Cl [SOLVED]

• Thread starter workerant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, to find the enthalpy of the overall reaction, you need to rearrange the given equations so that the equations cancel each other out and you are left with the overall equation. When flipping an equation, the sign of the change in enthalpy must also be flipped. This follows Hess's law of constant heat summation.
workerant
[SOLVED] Enthalpy of a Reaction

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

So we are studying the reaction NH4Cl (s) ---> NH3 (g) + HCl (g) and we have it in 4 steps:

1) NH3 (aq) + HCl (aq) ---> NH4Cl (aq) + H2O (l)

enthalpy of reaction per mole NH3: 1569.54 J/mol
enthalpy of reaction per mole HCl: 3358.73 J/mol

2) NH4Cl (s)+ H2O (l)---> NH4Cl (aq) + H2O (l)
enthalpy of reaction per mole NH4Cl: -16129.01 J/mol

3) NH3 (g) ---> NH3 (aq)
delta H=-34640 J/mol

4) HCl (g) ---> HCl (aq)
delta H= -75140 J/mol

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that you need to add up the enthalpies, but the sign part confuses me. I am not sure how to pick a sign at each step. Also, for the first step, do I add those two values together to get an overall value for that equation? That's what I though, but I'm not sure.

My idea was add the two from 1) and make it negative, add to it 2) (no sign change), and add to it 3) and 4), both made negative. This results in 88722.75 J/mol, but I'm not sure if I picked the signs correctly.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you want to do is rearrange the equations so that things cancel out and you're left with the overall equation. When flipping a particular equation, you have to flip the sign of the change in enthalpy with that equation and then add all the resulting enthalpies.

Hess's law of constant heat summation.

Thank you for stating the obvious...

1. What is the definition of "Enthalpy of a Reaction NH4Cl"?

The enthalpy of a reaction NH4Cl is the amount of heat released or absorbed during a chemical reaction involving the compound ammonium chloride (NH4Cl).

2. How is the enthalpy of a reaction NH4Cl calculated?

The enthalpy of a reaction NH4Cl can be calculated by taking the difference between the enthalpy of the products and the enthalpy of the reactants. This is known as the enthalpy change (∆H) and is typically measured in kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol).

3. What factors can affect the enthalpy of a reaction NH4Cl?

The enthalpy of a reaction NH4Cl can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the concentration of reactants and products. Changes in these factors can alter the amount of heat released or absorbed during the reaction.

4. How does the enthalpy of a reaction NH4Cl relate to the overall energy of the system?

The enthalpy of a reaction NH4Cl is a measure of the potential energy stored in the chemical bonds of the reactants and products. It is closely related to the overall energy of the system, and changes in enthalpy can indicate whether a reaction is exothermic (releases heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat).

5. What is the practical significance of knowing the enthalpy of a reaction NH4Cl?

Knowing the enthalpy of a reaction NH4Cl can help scientists and engineers better understand the thermodynamics of chemical reactions and design more efficient and sustainable processes. It can also be useful in predicting and controlling the temperature changes that occur during reactions.