1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Enthalpy of a Reaction

1. Nov 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In an ice calorimeter, the reaction between 0.0272g of magnesium with excess water was carried out. The volume of water in the calorimeter decreased by 0.19mL during the reaction.
    (a) Write the equation for the reaction which occurs. Is it a redox reaction?
    (b) Calculate the enthalpy of the reaction (in KJ/mol).

2. Relevant equations
    q=mc∆t

3. The attempt at a solution
    (a) I figured out that the equation is Mg(s) + 2H2O(l) Mg(OH)2 + H2(g) and that it is a redox reaction (hydrogen is reduced, magnesium is oxidized).

(b) ∆V=V2-V1=Volume of water produced by melting-volume of ice melted

mass of ice melted=mass of water produced= m

At 0degrees celsius, density of water=1g/mL, density of ice=0.917g/mL

∆V=(mass of water produced/density of water) - (mass of ice melter/density of ice)
    = m(1/1 - 1/0.917)
    = m x (-0.0905)
    m= ∆V/-0.0905= -0.19/(-0.0905)= 2.099g of ice melted

∆Hsystem=0
    ∆Hsystem=∆HvesselA+∆HvesselB=0
    ∆HvesselA = -∆HvesselB

***Is this right so far? Where do I go from here?***

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2010 #2
    I think you need to find the enthalpy for melting ice into water: 6.01 kJ. Then take the mass you calculated, divide by the molar mass of water to get moles of water, and then multiply the moles by 6.01 kJ to get the heat of water (dH = q/n). Then take the q and divide by the moles of magnesium to find the heat of reaction. I think that's how you do it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook