Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Enthalpy of Dissolution vs. Enthalpy of Solution

1. Oct 26, 2005 #1
    What is the difference between enthalpy of dissolution and enthalpy of solution?

I have a lab where I have to measure the change in enthalpy of dissolution of several salts in water. I found the change in enthalpy, however I am supposed to compare them with the real values. I looked in the CRC handbook and there was only a table with changes in enthalpies of solution, these were different values than the ones I got.

Another thing that I do not undestand is that my reactions were endothermic but my enthalpies of dissolution were all negative. Doesn't enthalpy change indicate if a reaction is exothermic or endothermic? Unless enthalpy of dissolution indicates something else. I used the following equations:

q = CdT where C is the calorimeter constant

then

dH = q / n where dH is the change in enthalpy of dissolution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2005 #2
    Negative values indicate a release of energy and exothermicity. Enthalpy of solution and dissolution are the same thing- heat change when one mole of solute dissolves

4. Oct 26, 2005 #3
    Are you serious?

5. Oct 26, 2005 #4
    No I'm lying.

6. Oct 26, 2005 #5

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You shouldn't lie Cesium, it's probably against some policy here. Hehe.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook