1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Enthalpy of Dissolution vs. Enthalpy of Solution

1. Oct 26, 2005 #1
    What is the difference between enthalpy of dissolution and enthalpy of solution?

I have a lab where I have to measure the change in enthalpy of dissolution of several salts in water. I found the change in enthalpy, however I am supposed to compare them with the real values. I looked in the CRC handbook and there was only a table with changes in enthalpies of solution, these were different values than the ones I got.

Another thing that I do not undestand is that my reactions were endothermic but my enthalpies of dissolution were all negative. Doesn't enthalpy change indicate if a reaction is exothermic or endothermic? Unless enthalpy of dissolution indicates something else. I used the following equations:

q = CdT where C is the calorimeter constant

dH = q / n where dH is the change in enthalpy of dissolution
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2005 #2
    Negative values indicate a release of energy and exothermicity. Enthalpy of solution and dissolution are the same thing- heat change when one mole of solute dissolves
  4. Oct 26, 2005 #3
    Are you serious?
  5. Oct 26, 2005 #4
    No I'm lying.
  6. Oct 26, 2005 #5

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You shouldn't lie Cesium, it's probably against some policy here. Hehe.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?