Enthelpy of Formation of Tetraoxygen

In summary, the conversation discusses the Standard Enthalpy of Formation of Tetraoxygen in kJ/mol and the different shapes of the molecule. Theoretical calculations have predicted the existence of two different shapes: a "puckered" square and a "pinwheel". The speaker has limited knowledge in chemistry but is conducting research and has encountered difficulties finding a clear answer. They mention having a tight budget and being unable to access reference papers. The conversation concludes with the understanding that the rare and short-lived nature of tetraoxygen makes it difficult to measure accurately.
James Essig
I am curious as to what is the Standard Enthalpy Of Formation is of Tetraoxygen in kJ/mol. I am assuming reference to the molar weight of the Tetraoxygen molecule. I seem to only find papers on the subject which are abstruse with detail but no clear answer to my inquiry. I have little formal schooling in chemistry but am doing some free lance research.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Either one or both would be cool. I would down load some of the reference papers in the Wikipedia reference but currently am on a tight budget.

"Theoretical calculations have predicted the existence of metastable O4 molecules with two different shapes: a "puckered" square like cyclobutane or S4,[7] and a "pinwheel" with three oxygen atoms surrounding a central one in a trigonal planar formation similar to boron trifluoride.[8][9]" --- Wiki
What part of "theoretical" are you not understanding? Last time I checked, first ionization potential of He wasn't calculable from first principles; tetraoxygen has several times the number of primary particles as He.

Bystander, that's fine. I guess the answer to my question has been resolved. I appreciate you looking into this for me. My guess is that the tetra-oxygen is so short lived and so rare that not enough of it can be produced to do the measurements.

1. What is the enthalpy of formation of tetraoxygen?

The enthalpy of formation of tetraoxygen, also known as oxygen gas (O2), is the change in enthalpy that occurs when one mole of oxygen gas is formed from its constituent elements, oxygen atoms, in their standard states at a pressure of 1 bar (100 kPa) and a specified temperature (usually 25°C or 298 K).

2. Why is the enthalpy of formation of tetraoxygen important?

The enthalpy of formation is an important thermodynamic property that measures the stability of a substance. It is used to determine the energy that is released or absorbed during a chemical reaction, as well as to calculate the heat of combustion and other thermodynamic quantities.

3. How is the enthalpy of formation of tetraoxygen measured?

The enthalpy of formation of tetraoxygen is typically measured using calorimetric techniques, where the heat released or absorbed during the formation of oxygen gas is measured. This can also be calculated using Hess's law, which states that the enthalpy change of a reaction is independent of the pathway taken.

4. What is the standard enthalpy of formation of tetraoxygen?

The standard enthalpy of formation of tetraoxygen is defined as the enthalpy of formation at standard conditions, which is 25°C (298 K) and 1 bar (100 kPa). For oxygen gas, the standard enthalpy of formation is 0 kJ/mol, as it is the most stable form of oxygen at these conditions.

5. How does the enthalpy of formation of tetraoxygen compare to other elements?

The enthalpy of formation of tetraoxygen is relatively high compared to other elements, as it is a highly stable molecule. This is due to the strong diatomic bond between the oxygen atoms. However, the enthalpy of formation of oxygen gas is lower than other diatomic molecules, such as nitrogen gas (N2) and hydrogen gas (H2), due to the small size and high electronegativity of the oxygen atom.