Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Enthalpy of ideal gas

1. May 14, 2010 #1
    Hello.
    I'm having troubles solving the enthalpy for an ideal gas.
    From the equation H=U+PV, i could find H substituting PV=NRT = U/c, but then i need the energy as a function of S and P, so i'd get H as a function of its proper variables (S and P)..
    I can't find such an expression. It's just so easy to find the helmholtz and gibbs representation for ideal gases that i find it odd that this one gives me so much trouble. Wikipedia gives the equation for the enthalpy, but i have no clue how to write it that way :S
    could anyone give me some clues to solve this one?
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2010 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

There's an equation called the Sackur-Tetrode equation that expresses the entropy of an ideal gas S in terms of U. You can invert this to give U in terms of S, then substitute into your equation for H in terms of U and you will have H in terms of S.

4. May 15, 2010 #3
    oh, thanks! i just need to get the volume out of there, but i could use the other relations to do that. doh! i should've seen that earlier :P

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook