1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Enthalpy of NaOH(s) -> NaOH(g)

1. Mar 7, 2013 #1
    Enthalpy of NaOH(s) --> NaOH(g)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given:
    1. [itex]Na_{(s)} \rightarrow Na_{(g)}[/itex] [itex]\Delta H = 109 kJ[/itex]

2. [itex]\Delta H^{\circ}_{diss} = 251\:kJ\:for\:O_{2}[/itex]

3. [itex]\Delta H^{\circ}_{diss} = 435\:kJ\:for\:H_{2}[/itex]

4. [itex]\Delta H^{\circ}_{diss} = 465\:kJ\:for\:O-H[/itex]

5. [itex]\Delta H^{\circ}_{diss} = 255\:kJ\:for\:Na-O[/itex]

6. [itex]\Delta H_{soln} = -46\:kJ\:for\:NaOH_{(s)}[/itex]

7. [itex]\Delta H^{\circ}_{f} = -427\:kJ\:for\:NaOH_{(s)}[/itex]

Predict [itex]\Delta H[/itex] for [itex]NaOH_{(s)} \rightarrow NaOH_{(g)}[/itex] ???

2. Relevant equations
    see above

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand the standard states of all substances for #1-3 but I am unsure of #4,5,7. I don't understand what the standard states are for #4,5 (both reactants and products). I don't understand what the physical state of sodium is for #7 (is it solid or gas ?). Also how will the aqueous ions produced from dissociation of sodium hydroxide in #6 cancel out ? and how will covalent bonds of [itex]Na-O[/itex] or [itex]O-H[/itex] as reactants cancel out ?

Thanks!! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2013 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

You can assume bond dissociation enthalpy doesn't depend on the state. In #7 you start with elements in the standard state and end with NaOH in the standard state.

4. Mar 8, 2013 #3
    How will I cancel aqueous hydroxide ion or sodium cation ? So the standard state of elemental sodium in #7 is solid ? Also, after O--H bond or Na--O bond dissociates do the Na or O or H assume a gaseous state ?

5. Mar 29, 2013 #4
    Any new thoughts from my previous reply ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted