What is the core for entrance to graduate programs in physics?

In summary: Maybe you don't want to go to med school, but you should have a clearer idea of what you want to do than just "I want to be a physicist". Don't get me wrong, you don't need a detailed plan of your entire life, but you should have some idea of what you're doing.Just following a few courses in physics and math will most likely not get you admitted to a grad school. Most likely, you'll need to do a second degree. I'd be interested to hear if anyone here has heard of people getting admitted to grad school after following a superficial program of courses like you're doing. In summary, it is necessary to
Rear Naked
I have been searching for the requirements for entry into physics graduate programs.

I am seeing GRE + physics GRE + 3 LORs

Is it understood that the student has a strong background in physics or mathematics or do they really not require it?

I have signed up for higher mathematics courses for the coming semesters, but I am curious about how far I am required to go with physics courses to be considered.

It is all up in the air as long as I learn the required material to do well on the GRE?

Thank you guys

I watched the TED talk with Sean Carrol so I know I want to be a physicist:tongue:

Physics news on Phys.org
Your undergrad major and courses taken are certainly considered by the admissions committee. They are looking for candidates that will flourish and be productive in graduate school. A candidate who is unprepared for the graduate course curriculum or qualifying exams will have problems, so a strong undergraduate background in physics is necessary for most students.

This is not to say, for example, that an exceptionally brilliant chemist or even liberal arts student wouldn't be admitted to a grad physics program. In fact, Edward Witten was a history student. It is just exceedingly rare.

Rear Naked said:
Is it understood that the student has a strong background in physics or mathematics or do they really not require it?

You need to look at departmental web sites for specific requirements. Looking at the University of Michigan where I went to grad school many years ago, I see that they now require applicants to have at least 18 (semester-)hours of intermediate and advanced undergraduate physics courses. At most colleges/universities, this probably means six courses.

http://www.lsa.umich.edu/physics/academics/graduateprogram/prospectivestudents

I'm surprised they don't say anything about the content of those courses. Nevertheless, I suspect they'd scrutinize you more carefully if you don't cover the basic core areas: classical mechanics (including Lagrangian mechanics), electromagnetism, thermodynamics / statistical mechanics, and quantum mechanics.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in a strange spot.

My undergraduate degree was in Business Information Systems (non-technical).

I returned to the university 2 years ago to complete prerequisites for medical school. I am finishing in 2 weeks with A grades in all classes since returning. So, my physics exposure has been only 1 year of algebra physics that pre-professionals take. While looking for a further challenge, I took calculus I last summer. It was very tough for me at first, since it had been 8-9 years since any real mathematics. I had to scurry and learn the algebra tricks, trigonometry, and the calculus. I ended up with a high A, and rather enjoyed the course.

Should I bother going to take the University Physics with calculus? I don't think so. Thanks for your replies!

I don't understand your question. One post, you say that you are looking at physics grad schools and have signed up for higher math classes. Forty minutes later, you're looking at med school have have just finished calc. What is going on?

I am not looking at physics graduate schools, as I am nowhere near that point. I am looking into the path I need to possibly pursue a graduate degree. Ie. what is required for application? What must I do should I choose to pursue this?

I WAS looking to go to medical school. That is why I am at the uni in the first place, but am considering a change of path. I guess I forgot that part.

Er... what about looking at a major in physics? Or is that too obvious?

Zz.

Because I don't want be a post bach for another 3 years?

Rear Naked said:
Yes, it is required. It is understood that the student has the equivalent knowledge of a bachelor's degree in physics. This entails something like a one year introductory course in physics and advanced courses in modern physics, classical mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics and statistical mechanics, as well as a course or two in quantum mechanics. Also, plenty of lab courses, perhaps a mathematical physics course, and usually some introductory chemistry.

On the math end, you are usually expected to take at least Calculus I - III, linear algebra, and differential equations.

Rear Naked said:
I am seeing GRE + physics GRE + 3 LORs
There are plenty of physics GRE http://www.ets.org/Media/Tests/GRE/pdf/Physics.pdf on the internet, so I'd recommend trying one out to see what is expected.

To get letters of recommendation, you need to either take courses with the professors, or, better yet, do research under their advisement.

Rear Naked said:
Because I don't want be a post bach for another 3 years?

A degree in Business Information Systems is not going to cut it for admission into a physics graduate program. Unless you're some sort of special case super genius, your best shot at getting into a physics graduate program is going to be doing the equivalent work of a physics bachelors degree.

Rear Naked said:
I have signed up for higher mathematics courses for the coming semesters, but I am curious about how far I am required to go with physics courses to be considered.

Excuse me while I bang my head against my desk.

... *bang bang bang* ...

I never understood this attitude. You said you wanted to be a physicst, so why are you trying to so hard to get away with following as few courses in physics as you can? The physics majors who want to get admitted to grad school have been following physics courses for *years*, yet you think you can get away with following a few courses in physics and math here and there? Maybe you're a genius, of course, but I think you need to do a serious reality check.

Additionally, you might want to think about your underlying motivations for wanting to go to physics grad school. You've already got a degree, then you went back to university for med school, and now you want to go back to become a physicst after watching a TED talk.

I apologize if this sounds harsh (it probably does); know that I've written it with the best intentions.

Hobin said:
Excuse me while I bang my head against my desk.

... *bang bang bang* ...

I never understood this attitude. You said you wanted to be a physicst, so why are you trying to so hard to get away with following as few courses in physics as you can? The physics majors who want to get admitted to grad school have been following physics courses for *years*, yet you think you can get away with following a few courses in physics and math here and there? Maybe you're a genius, of course, but I think you need to do a serious reality check.

Because taking classes for university credit costs me 1000 dollars per class and if it postpones my entry into a graduate program later than it could have been, then I would obviously rather avoid it. I'm not trying to avoid physics. I'm trying to avoid university credit for physics.

Additionally, you might want to think about your underlying motivations for wanting to go to physics grad school. You've already got a degree, then you went back to university for med school, and now you want to go back to become a physicst after watching a TED talk.

That was a joke.

If I wasn't the type to question my motivations, I would be studying for the MCAT and not asking these questions.

I suppose a better way to ask my question is to say :

Would it be "ok" if I were to forgo the electives and other classes required for a physics degree, and take the required mathematics and physics core?

My uni requires:
Cal I-III, and DiffEQ
Physics I and II
Modern
Analtical Mechanics
E&M
Statistical Physics

+ 4 physics electives
+ philosophy of science
+ concentration in chem/eng/math - I would need Physical chemistry to complete the chem.

To earn a proper degree, I would need 6 more classes over the core physics curriculum.

Is the core "enough" for the GRE?

Don't you guys often take advanced undergrad classes in the first year of graduate school in preparation for the competency exam anyway?

Last edited:

1. What are the general requirements for entrance to graduate programs?

The specific requirements for entrance to graduate programs vary depending on the institution and program. However, most graduate programs require applicants to have a bachelor's degree from an accredited university, a competitive GPA, and strong letters of recommendation. Some programs may also require standardized test scores, such as the GRE or GMAT, and a statement of purpose or personal statement.

2. Is work experience necessary for entrance to graduate programs?

Work experience is not always a requirement for entrance to graduate programs, but it can be beneficial. Many programs value applicants who have relevant work experience in their field of study as it demonstrates practical skills and a strong commitment to the field. However, some programs may also accept recent graduates with little to no work experience.

3. What is the average acceptance rate for graduate programs?

The acceptance rate for graduate programs varies greatly and is highly dependent on the institution and program. Generally, acceptance rates for graduate programs are lower than undergraduate programs, with some competitive programs having acceptance rates as low as 5%. It is important to research the specific program you are interested in to get a better understanding of its acceptance rate.

4. What can I do to increase my chances of being accepted into a graduate program?

To increase your chances of being accepted into a graduate program, it is important to have a strong application. This includes a competitive GPA, strong letters of recommendation, and a well-written personal statement. It can also be beneficial to gain relevant work or research experience in your field of study and to prepare for any required standardized tests by studying and taking practice exams.

5. Are there any resources available to help with the application process for graduate programs?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with the application process for graduate programs. Most institutions have a graduate admissions office or department that can assist with any questions or concerns you may have. There are also online resources, such as websites and forums, where you can find tips and advice from current and former graduate students. Additionally, consider reaching out to professors or professionals in your field for guidance and support.