Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Entropic Space-Time

1. Oct 20, 2009 #1
    When looking through a few books, I ran into one by someone named Jack Armel. It was a theory he developed called "Entropic Space-Time" (also the title of the book). I've never heard (or remember hearing) this theory before...I'm presuming it did not carry out too far (it'd be helpful if someone confirmed this). The theory did not seem too crazy (though I only looked at the Table of Contents and the first chapter of the book); in the first chapter, I did find it interesting how he designated space-time as something with energy -- the structure of space-time was given a charge and was quantized. Does this concept of space-time extend into the heavier ongoing theories of today or is it just left as an arbitrary structure?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2009 #2
    I have a response to this, but I think I'm going to wait and see if someone more math savvy than me can give him a better one, first.

4. Oct 21, 2009 #3
    I'll be checking for responses.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  5. Oct 25, 2009 #4
    no one?

6. Oct 27, 2009 #5
    I think that there are many researchers in QG today who think along these lines. Most notably are people who believe that spacetime is "emergent". In the same sense that thermodynamics is an emergent set of laws that emerge from a coarse graining of some microscopic degrees of freedom perhaps general relativity(and hence spacetime) is an emergent theory from some more fundamental theory(i.e. quantum gravity).

7. Nov 14, 2009 #6
    Does any one know where to get in touch with Mr. Jack Armel?

Thanks in advance

8. Mar 20, 2010 #7

cbo

The Google Books read is intriguing. Where else is this book discussed?

9. Mar 20, 2010 #8
    Well, I don't know much about it, but it sounds very similar to the holographic principle, which I know is taken seriously by certain branches of science. The best I can do is suggest a google search on "Hawking holographic principle". You can also check out books like, "The Black Hole War". As I said, I don't know much about it, but you may find these leads useful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook