Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Entropy and classicality

1. Jun 7, 2004 #1

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

It is fairly evident the universe originated in a more highly ordered state than we presently observe. It is also fairly evident it has become increasingly disordered over time [e.g., expansion and those inexplicable clumps of matter called galaxies, stars, etc.]. I am therefore forced to conclude the number of possible states of existence have increased over time. The concept of action and reaction [blame Newton and Laplace] seem to insist current explanations for gravity and entropy are incomplete. I am very uncomfortable having to rely upon untestable explanations. Strings and extra dimensions are not very satisfying. They appear to require a higher order of 'law' that is inherently impossible to validate by observation. The long and the short of it... a universe without predictable consequences [causality] cannot exist in my local reference frame.

Thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2004 #2
    IIRC, according to BBT, there was much more homogeneity to the universe once upon a time. no large atoms, only H and maybe some He. just clouds of gas waiting for gravity to do its magic.

by "order", do you mean neat rows of similar things? do you mean repetition? do you mean "information" ?

what do you mean by "states of existence" ?
    do you mean thermodynamic microstates? since that's what entropy deals with?

Edit--------------------------------------------------------------------

how are galaxies considered "disorder"? It seems like the universe went from conceptually disordered (a bunch of spread out, whizzing-around, light atoms in a gas) to what we would conceive of as "order". Solids, crystals, planets, regular motion about centers of gravity, etc.

:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?