1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Entropy and Dust

1. Jun 16, 2010 #1
    Entropy and Dust!!

I dont know if this goes here or in the Chemestry forum, I Want to Know Why a Closed House gets Filled with Dust.....i have an Apartment in another state for vacation, we had´nt been there since 3 month ago.....this past weekend we went and the Apartament wich we left completely clean and with all windows closed......was super dusty.....i recall reading about Entropy having something to do with that but im not sure....what do you think!!....

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2010 #2
    Re: Entropy and Dust!!

Dust is made out of dustmite excrement, other insect parts, and human flesh. You subtracted the human flesh, but the rest still builds up. You are not the only resident of your house.

4. Jun 16, 2010 #3

I have heard a lot of explanations and analogies for entropy involving cleaning and order and whatnot. Maybe this is why you think that entropy has something to do with this. The thermodynamic concept of entropy probably has as little to do with your situation as it does with anything else.

5. Jun 16, 2010 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Also, a 'closed' apartment is not closed. Do you have AC/heating? That brings in dirty air. Even if it was turned off; there's still airflow throughout the apartment.

6. Jun 16, 2010 #5

You're saying a house works like a silt trap to the surrounding atmosphere?
    So you think a vacant European nearly-airtight (with air-exchanger closed) home wouldn't significantly accumulate dust?

7. Jun 16, 2010 #6

In fact dust doesn't usually gather in places with high entropy :smile:

(you need to mess the place up once a week, then it will be messy but no dust will gather in the messy places)

8. Jun 16, 2010 #7

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

All I know is that my house is drafty in winter.

9. Jun 17, 2010 #8

Dried Ectoplasm.

10. Jul 5, 2010 #9

jajaja Dried Ectoplasm!! no seriously...thank you all...im starting to get an insight.....anyway...my wife is a cleansing freak....she left the apparment totally spotless....you could pass a finger with a white glove and find nothing....the apartment doesnt have any Hvac system....if you want air, open the windows....so.....we left the apt. super clean, we dont have rugs....all windows super closed, none food rest, clean sheets on beds...etc......3 month later....low dusty (not visible touhg)...enough that i had allergie....

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook