Entropy and Enthelpy for adiabatic process

In summary: This is an example of an irreversible process with no heat transfer yet the final entropy is greater than the initial entropy.In summary, the reason why dS=0 for a reversible adiabatic process and dS!=0 for an irreversible adiabatic process is due to the thermodynamic relation and the statistical concept of microstates, which show that irreversibility leads to an increase in entropy even without heat transfer. This can be further explored in the blog post of Chet in his PF area.
ricard.py
1) What is the reason why dH!=0 for an adiabatic(q=0) reversible process?
The mathematical argument is irrefutable and it is clear that it has to do with the process not being isobaric:
ΔH=ΔU+PΔV+VΔP , ΔU=work=−PΔV
Therefore, ΔH=VΔP and this is not 0.
However, I do not understand it conceptually...

2) Consider an adiabatic irreversible process from state A to B. At first I would expect to have dS=0, as there is no heat transfer, However, if we construct a reverse isothermal path that connects state B and A, then S(B→A)=-S(A→B). The entropy calculated for the isothermal path is positive, so the entropy for the irreversible process is negative, which agrees with the clausius inequality.
My question is: conceptually, why should a reversible adiabatic process has dS=0 and an irreversible adiabatic process have a dS!=0 if there is no heat transfer?

Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
ricard.py said:
1) What is the reason why dH!=0 for an adiabatic(q=0) reversible process?
The mathematical argument is irrefutable and it is clear that it has to do with the process not being isobaric:
ΔH=ΔU+PΔV+VΔP , ΔU=work=−PΔV
Therefore, ΔH=VΔP and this is not 0.
As you showed, it's actually not equal to zero. What made you think that dH = 0 for an adiabatic reverisble process?
2) Consider an adiabatic irreversible process from state A to B. At first I would expect to have dS=0, as there is no heat transfer, However, if we construct a reverse isothermal path that connects state B and A, then S(B→A)=-S(A→B). The entropy calculated for the isothermal path is positive, so the entropy for the irreversible process is negative, which agrees with the clausius inequality.
My question is: conceptually, why should a reversible adiabatic process has dS=0 and an irreversible adiabatic process have a dS!=0 if there is no heat transfer?
dS=dq/T only for a reversible path between the initial and final equilibrium states of a system. Otherwise, dS is greater than dq/T. See my blog in my PF area for a more in-depth discussion.

Chet

ricard.py said:

What's there to understand conceptually? It's just a consequence of the thermodynamic relation ##dH = SdT + Vdp## which is itself just a change of variables ##H = E + pV## of the conservation of energy equation ##dE = \delta Q - \delta W## when restricted to a quasi-static process.

ricard.py said:

I'm just adding on to Chet here by looking at things statistically. If the process is not reversible then by definition, for the total number of accessible microstates ##\Omega_i(E)## of the initial equilibrium state and the total number of accessible microstates ##\Omega_f(E)## of the final equilibrium state, we have ##\Omega_f > \Omega_i##; here ##E## is the average energy of the system. There clearly need not be any heat transfer in order for ##\Omega_f > \Omega_i## to hold. As a very simple example, just consider a cylinder of ##N## molecules of a certain ideal gas confined to half the volume ##V/2## of the cylinder by means of a piston initially locked in place; then ##\Omega_i(E) \propto (V/2)^N##. Imagine now that the piston is removed so quickly (instantaneously) that no work gets done by the gas and no heat gets transferred to the gas; we then wait for the gas to reach a new equilibrium. This final equilibrium state will of course be the one for which the gas occupies the entire volume of the cylinder. But then ##\Omega_f(E) \propto (V)^N## with the exact same proportionality factor since the energy of the gas didn't change at all (##\Delta E = W + Q = 0##) so ##\Omega_f > \Omega_i##.

1. What is entropy and enthalpy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system, while enthalpy is a measure of the total energy of a system. In an adiabatic process, both entropy and enthalpy remain constant.

2. How are entropy and enthalpy related in an adiabatic process?

In an adiabatic process, there is no heat exchange between the system and its surroundings. This means that the change in enthalpy is equal to the work done on or by the system, and the change in entropy is equal to the heat transferred to or from the system.

3. Can entropy decrease in an adiabatic process?

No, according to the second law of thermodynamics, the total entropy of an isolated system always increases or remains constant in an adiabatic process.

4. How does temperature affect entropy and enthalpy in an adiabatic process?

In an adiabatic process, the temperature of the system changes due to the work done on or by the system. As the temperature changes, the entropy and enthalpy of the system also change accordingly.

5. What is the significance of entropy and enthalpy in thermodynamics?

Entropy and enthalpy are important concepts in thermodynamics as they help us understand the behavior of systems in terms of energy transfer and disorder. They also play a crucial role in determining the direction and efficiency of processes.