1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Entropy and Free Energy

1. Apr 28, 2009 #1
    I'm having trouble understanding why in a reaction, when the free energy G of the product equal the free energy G of the reactant, the reaction is at equilibrium. Here, as my book say, the system has reached its minimum free energy. I don't really get why... Could someone explain to me...? Thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2009 #2
    Oh...never mind. It seems like the reaction just like the Delta G, not G, to be negative to be spontaneous, right? Now The only thing I don't get is:
    Since:
    Gtotal = Greactant + Gproduct
    when Greactant decrease, Gproduct increase, so how can it say at equilibrium, "the system has reached minimum free energy"?
    Thanks

4. Apr 30, 2009 #3

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is it correct to say "Gtotal = Greactant + Gproduct"?

Gibbs Free Energy is the maximum amount of useful work you can obtain from a process not an inherent energy present in either the products or reactants. Where have you seen this equation? It's news to me.

5. May 15, 2009 #4
    Oh, it was in my chemistry book...

6. May 15, 2009 #5

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The Gibbs free energy G is just the enthalpy minus TS. It's definitely an inherent property (a state function) of a substance.

MonsieurWise, the question is by what magnitude the Gibbs free energies of the reactants and the products increase and decrease. The magnitudes aren't constant; they depend on the amounts that already exist. At equilibrium, [itex]\Delta G_\mathrm{reactant}[/itex] and [itex]\Delta G_\mathrm{product}[/itex] are equal and opposite.

7. May 18, 2009 #6

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

And just how is that calculated? Say I've got 10 grams of hydrogen at STP... What Gibbs free energy is appropriate for that substance?

8. May 18, 2009 #7

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[tex](10\,\mathrm{g})\left(\frac{1}{2.016} \frac{\mathrm{mol}}{\mathrm{g}}\right)\left[0\,\frac{\mathrm{J}}{\mathrm{mol}}-\left(298\,\mathrm{K}\right)\left(131\,\frac{\mathrm{J}}{\mathrm{mol}\cdot\mathrm{K}}\right)\right]\approx -190\,\mathrm{kJ}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook