Entropy and Relativity

• Thread starter Galteeth
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Since the entropy increase in a system is a function of time, it would seem that for different observers, rates of entropy would move differently. I am struggling a little hear with putting this into a coherent question, as I am a layman, but the jist is: both the notion of a closed system and the observation of time are dependent on an observer. What is the relationship between the thermodynamic arrow of time and the role of the observer in relativity? I imagine this is a complicated, so links to articles or such would be sufficient.

Answers and Replies

atyy
Science Advisor
Since the entropy increase in a system is a function of time, it would seem that for different observers, rates of entropy would move differently. I am struggling a little hear with putting this into a coherent question, as I am a layman, but the jist is: both the notion of a closed system and the observation of time are dependent on an observer. What is the relationship between the thermodynamic arrow of time and the role of the observer in relativity? I imagine this is a complicated, so links to articles or such would be sufficient.
Entropy is a function of time and can be used as a clock. It behaves like any other clock in relativity.