1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Entropy at different temperatures

1. May 14, 2008 #1
    I'm having difficulty with this problem:

Consider a two state system consisting of N distinguishable and indeppendent particles where each particle can occupy one of two states separated by an energy E. What is the entropy of the system at:

(A) T=0
    (B) T=infinity

I'm assuming this refers to the canonical ensemble (different energies), so I have tried to apply the following formula:

S = E/T + klnZ

however this produces an infinite entropy at zero temperature (contradicting the third law of thermodynamics). Is there another way of calculating this?? Many thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2008 #2

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you actually done the calculation? Are you sure the answer you get is infinity? If you're really confused, go back to what you know. Maybe you should try calculating just the partition function.

4. May 14, 2008 #3
    ^ Well the E/T term in the entropy would automatically go to infinity at 0K...

5. May 14, 2008 #4

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why? The average energy E which appears in your equation depends on temperature, right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?