Entropy Change in Reversible and Irreversible Cycles

In summary, the conversation discusses a past paper question worth 3 marks about the entropy change of a working substance in two scenarios: a completely reversible closed cycle and a closed cycle containing irreversible steps. The first part has an entropy change of zero, as the substance returns to its original state. The second part can have a positive or negative entropy change for the working substance, as long as the total entropy of the system and surroundings increases. The conversation concludes with the understanding that the working substance returns to its original state in the closed cycle, and the total entropy increases due to irreversibility.
Bigfoots mum
Now then, a past paper question worth 3 marks.

What is the entropy change of a working substance taken around 1) a completely reversible closed cycle and 2) a closed cycle containing irreversible steps? Explain your reasoning.

Now this question has me a tad confused. I think that for part 1 the entropy change is zero. My reasoning was that if you take the substance along some reversible path, say from 1 to 2, giving an entropy change of ds(1 to 2) then to go back along would give an entropy change of -ds(1 to 2). If that make sense.

For part 2, i think ds could be > 0 or < 0. My reasoning is that the entropy change for the 'universe' must be > 0 but that the change in entropy for the working substance could be positive or negative, as long as the entropy change of the system + surroundings is > 0 .
Hope that's clear.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Think "state variable."

I know its a state variable, hence my reasoning for part 1).
Im not sure what your hinting at to be honest. Part 2) has me confused, mainly due to the fact its talking about the working subtance itself, and not a 'system', and how to reason for part 2).

So does the working substance return to its original state in part 2?

Iv made this question sound more complicated than it really is, haven't I?!
Since its a closed cycle i presume there is no net change in the working substance after the cycle, and therefore the entropy change in the substance is zero?

Sounds good to me. And as you said, the total entropy increases due to irreversibility. You've got it!

Thanks muchly mapes, i was getting the old knickers in a twist for no reason there.

What is entropy change?

Entropy change is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. It is a thermodynamic property that describes the amount of energy that is unavailable for work in a system.

How is entropy change calculated?

The change in entropy (ΔS) can be calculated by taking the sum of the entropy of the products (Sproducts) and subtracting the entropy of the reactants (Sreactants). This can be represented as: ΔS = Sproducts - Sreactants

What factors affect entropy change?

Entropy change can be affected by temperature, pressure, and the number of particles in a system. Generally, increasing temperature and pressure while also increasing the number of particles will result in an increase in entropy change.

What is the relationship between entropy change and spontaneity?

Entropy change is directly related to the spontaneity of a process. The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will never decrease over time. Therefore, a positive entropy change indicates a spontaneous process, while a negative entropy change indicates a non-spontaneous process.

How is entropy change related to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will never decrease over time. This means that in a spontaneous process, the entropy change will always be positive. Conversely, a non-spontaneous process will have a negative entropy change.