The Entropy Change of Melting Ice: Why is the Equation Written as ΔS = Q/T?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of symbols to represent heat transfer in the change of entropy equation. It is suggested that using the symbol ##\Delta Q## can be misleading as heat is a transfer variable and not a state variable. Instead, it is recommended to use the symbol ##Q## or ##W## to represent heat and work, respectively, in a process. The analogy is made that just as ##\Delta W## should not be interpreted as a change in work, ##\Delta Q## should not be interpreted as a change in heat.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For this,
1680049891627.png

Why dose they write the change in entropy equation as ##\Delta S = \frac{Q}{T}##? Would it not better to write it as ##\Delta S = \frac{\Delta Q}{T}##, since it clear that we are only concerned about the transfer of heat in our system while it remains at constant temperature as all the energy goes into the change in phase.

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Callumnc1 said:
Homework Statement:: Please see below
Relevant Equations:: Please see below

For this,
View attachment 324174

Why dose they write the change in entropy equation as ##\Delta S = \frac{Q}{T}##? Would it not better to write it as ##\Delta S = \frac{\Delta Q}{T}##, since it clear that we are only concerned about the transfer of heat in our system while it remains at constant temperature as all the energy goes into the change in phase.

Many thanks!
You are thinking correctly. However, ##Q## is often used for the heat transferred in a process. The symbol ##\Delta Q## for the heat transferred is also sometimes used. But, this symbol can be misleading if ##\Delta Q## is interpreted as "the change in ##Q##", or as ##\Delta Q = Q_f - Q_i##. The symbols ##Q_f## and ##Q_i## do not have any meaning. The initial and final states of the system do not "have heat". In more formal words, "heat is not a state variable".

Likes ChiralSuperfields
TSny said:
You are thinking correctly. However, ##Q## is often used for the heat transferred in a process. The symbol ##\Delta Q## for the heat transferred is also sometimes used. But, this symbol can be misleading if ##\Delta Q## is interpreted as "the change in ##Q##", or as ##\Delta Q = Q_f - Q_i##. The symbols ##Q_f## and ##Q_i## do not have any meaning. The initial and final states of the system do not "have heat". In more formal words, "heat is not a state variable".
Thank you for your reply @TSny! Oh I think I see what you mean. Since heat is a 'transfer variable', it inherently describing a transition between the of energy between the finial and previous state.

Callumnc1 said:
Thank you for your reply @TSny! Oh I think I see what you mean. Since heat is a 'transfer variable', it inherently describing a transition between the of energy between the finial and previous state.
Yes. ##Q## is always associated with a process, and it refers to the energy transferred due to a temperature difference during the process. Likewise, work ##W## is always associated with a process. You might sometimes see ##\Delta W## for the work, but we would never think of this as ##\Delta W = W_f - W_i##.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
TSny said:
Yes. ##Q## is always associated with a process, and it refers to the energy transferred due to a temperature difference during the process. Likewise, work ##W## is always associated with a process. You might sometimes see ##\Delta W## for the work, but we would never think of this as ##\Delta W = W_f - W_i##.
Ahh thank you very much @TSny! That is a very good analogy!

Last edited:

1. What is entropy change of melting ice?

The entropy change of melting ice is a measure of the disorder or randomness of the molecules in the ice as they transition from a solid to a liquid state. It is a thermodynamic property that represents the amount of energy that is dispersed or unavailable for work during this phase change.

2. How is entropy change of melting ice calculated?

The entropy change of melting ice can be calculated using the equation ΔS = Q/T, where ΔS is the change in entropy, Q is the heat absorbed during the melting process, and T is the temperature at which the melting occurs. This equation is based on the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time.

3. What factors affect the entropy change of melting ice?

The main factors that affect the entropy change of melting ice are the temperature and the pressure. Higher temperatures and lower pressures will result in a greater entropy change, as more energy is required to overcome the intermolecular forces holding the ice together. Additionally, the presence of impurities or solutes in the ice can also affect the entropy change.

4. Why does melting ice result in an increase in entropy?

Melting ice results in an increase in entropy because the molecules in a solid state are more ordered and have less freedom of movement compared to those in a liquid state. As the ice melts, the molecules are able to move more freely, resulting in a more disordered or random state, which is represented by an increase in entropy.

5. How does the entropy change of melting ice relate to the concept of energy conservation?

The entropy change of melting ice is related to the concept of energy conservation through the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. In the case of melting ice, the energy used to overcome the intermolecular forces and melt the ice is not lost, but rather dispersed as heat energy, which contributes to the increase in entropy of the system.