The Relationship Between Entropy, Energy, and Equilibrium

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationships between energy, entropy, and equilibrium. The general concept is that in nature, things tend to move towards equilibrium, with energy decreasing and entropy increasing. The conversion of potential energy into kinetic energy through mechanical work is also mentioned, with the idea that potential energy represents a state of disequilibrium. However, it is noted that this may not always be true and additional constraints may be needed to fully understand this concept.
Taturana
I've been thinking about some relations between energy, entropy and equilibrium but I don't know if I'm right.

We know that everything in nature tends to the equilibrium, right? Also in every system in universe the entropy tends to increase... so, the higher the entropy the higher is the equilibrium is the system, that's right?

I also thought that mechanical work is the way that the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy. Potential energy means disequilibrium, because if something has potential energy that means that this thing has energy stored in some place, and this energy is certainly going to be converted into kinetic energy in some moment (so it will generate disequilibrium because we will have a force, because work is force times distance).

If my thinks are right I can conclude that everything tends to equilibrium, the entropy tends to increase and the potential energy tends to decrease in every system.

Am I right? or am I just saying absurds?

Thanks all

Science news on Phys.org
Yes, in general, energy tends to decrease and entropy tends to increase as you go towards equilibrium, this is usually taught in HS chemistry.

Enthalpy (energy) wants to go down, Entropy wants to go up.

Taturana said:
We know that everything in nature tends to the equilibrium, right?
I wouldn't say it this way. It's rather that nature stay in stable states, because... they are stable. So it evolves randomly, but once it reaches a states that has himself as the successor, it will stay there forever for obvious reasons.

Taturana said:
Also in every system in universe the entropy tends to increase... so, the higher the entropy the higher is the equilibrium is the system, that's right?
For this I started another thread
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=387938
Entropy doesn't have to increase. It is just very very likely that it will, if there are very many particles. Occationally entropy can drastically decrease.

Taturana said:
I also thought that mechanical work is the way that the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy. Potential energy means disequilibrium, because if something has potential energy that means that this thing has energy stored in some place, and this energy is certainly going to be converted into kinetic energy in some moment
I think this isn't true in general. This idea might only work if you add some more contraints. Maybe considering gases only? Or other special systems? Not sure...
Anyone a suggestion? I find that interesting. A suppose a good starting point is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virial_theorem

1. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In other words, it is a measure of how much the energy in a system is spread out and unavailable to do work.

2. How does energy relate to entropy?

Energy and entropy are closely related. In any system, energy will naturally tend to spread out and become more evenly distributed, leading to an increase in entropy. This process is known as entropy production.

3. What is the role of equilibrium in entropy?

Equilibrium is a state of balance in a system, where there is no net flow of energy or matter. In thermodynamics, systems naturally tend towards equilibrium, which is associated with maximum entropy.

4. How does entropy affect the behavior of matter?

Entropy plays a key role in determining the behavior of matter. As entropy increases, the energy in a system becomes more dispersed and less able to do work. This can lead to changes in temperature, phase transitions, and chemical reactions.

5. Can entropy be reversed or decreased?

In accordance with the second law of thermodynamics, the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. While it is possible to decrease the entropy of a small portion of the system, the overall entropy of the system will still increase. This is known as the arrow of time.