Entropy Change in a Two-Step Heating Process for Water in a Heat Bath

In summary, the problem involves finding the entropy change of a total system consisting of a heat bath and 1000g of water, as the water is heated from 20C to 50C and then from 50C to 80C. The equilibrium is assumed to be reached in both cases. The formula for water's entropy is Sw = CdT / T + Cdt / T, with the first integral from 293K to 323K and the second from 323K to 353K. The bath entropy is Sb = -C(353 - 293) / 353. However, the final answer of 35.6J/K suggests that there are two heat baths at 50C and
quietrain

Homework Statement

Find entropy change of total system of heatbath + water when water is placed in heat bath from 20 C to 50 C, then 50C to 80C. assume equilibrium is reached first in both cases.
water = 1000g , C = 4.2J/C/G

The Attempt at a Solution

the entropy for water Sw = CdT / T + Cdt / T , where first integral from 293K to 323K, second from 323K to 353K.

bath entropy Sb = -C(353 - 293) / 353

Sw=780.4
Sb=-713.8

S-total = 66.6 J/K

but ans is 35.6J/K .

apparently, the 2 step process of heating should get me a smaller entropy change, but the value i calculated 66.6 is around the same as if i did a 1 step heating from 20 to 80 straight.

so where did i go wrong? thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int_{293}^{323} \frac{C}{T}\,dT=C\cdot\ln\left(\frac{323}{293}\right)[/tex]

SammyS said:
[tex]\int_{293}^{323} \frac{C}{T}\,dT=C\cdot\ln\left(\frac{323}{293}\right)[/tex]

yea using that, i got the answer to a 1 time heat bath heating from 293 to 353 straight

but if i use that expression twice from 293 to 323 plus 323 to 353, i essentially get the same value which is wrong, the ans is around twice less.

quietrain said:
yea using that, i got the answer to a 1 time heat bath heating from 293 to 353 straight

but if i use that expression twice from 293 to 323 plus 323 to 353, i essentially get the same value which is wrong, the ans is around twice less.
You are assuming one heat bath at 80C. This is not what you are given. There are two heat baths (because it says that the water reaches equilibrium in both cases).

AM

both heat baths will always be at 80C right? so which part of my workings are wrong? you mean for the denominator of the bath entropy, i have to use

-C(323 - 293) / 323 -C(353 - 323)/353
?

but then that would mean one heat bath is at 80C and the other is maintained at 50C?

quietrain said:
both heat baths will always be at 80C right?
If that was the case, how could the 1000 g of water reach equilibrium at 50C?

so which part of my workings are wrong? you mean for the denominator of the bath entropy, i have to use

-C(323 - 293) / 323 -C(353 - 323)/353

but then that would mean one heat bath is at 80C and the other is maintained at 50C?
Correct.

AM

i see thankyou

1. What is entropy in a heat bath block?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In a heat bath block, entropy refers to the amount of thermal energy that is available to do work.

2. How does entropy affect a heat bath block?

Entropy plays a crucial role in the functioning of a heat bath block. It controls the flow of heat and determines the direction in which heat flows, from a hotter object to a cooler one.

3. What is the relationship between entropy and temperature in a heat bath block?

The relationship between entropy and temperature in a heat bath block is described by the second law of thermodynamics. This law states that the entropy of a closed system will either remain constant or increase over time, and that the increase in entropy is directly proportional to the amount of heat added to the system.

4. How does the concept of entropy relate to the efficiency of a heat bath block?

The efficiency of a heat bath block is affected by the amount of entropy present in the system. In order to achieve maximum efficiency, it is important to minimize the amount of entropy produced during the transfer of heat.

5. Can entropy be reversed in a heat bath block?

According to the second law of thermodynamics, entropy can never be reversed in a closed system. However, it is possible to reduce the effects of entropy by using efficient insulation and other techniques to minimize heat transfer and energy loss.