1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Entropy - Help! Water -> Ice

1. Nov 18, 2005 #1
    Entropy - Help! Water --> Ice

Here is my question:
    10 kg of h2o at 20 degrees C is converted to Ice at -10 degrees C by being put in contact with a reservoir at -10 degrees C. The process takes place at constant pressure. The heat capacities at constant pressure of water (Cp_h2o) and Ice (Cp_ice) are
    4180 and 2190 (J)/(kg)*(K) ​
    respectively. The heat of fusion of water, l_h2o, is
    3.35x10^5 (J)/(kg).​
    Calculate the change in entropy of the universe.

I know delta S_universe = delta S_system + delta S_surroundings, but i am a little stuck, any pointers? :yuck:
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2005 #2
    During the fusion process , the heat would be lost to the surroundings which would lead to increase in entropy. The reservoir is at a fixed temperature (-10) and would gain heat ...therefore entropy change for surroundings = Q/T.

For the system , the change in entropy would be due to heat lost to the surroundings As the transformation in from H2o to ice ... the net entropy change would be:

dS = Ca ln (T2/T1) + Cb ln(T2/T3)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?