1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Entropy of N particle system

1. Jan 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A system of particles is in equilibrium at temperature T. Each particle may have energy 0, epsilon, or 2 epsilon. Find the entropy of the system.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]F=-\tau log(Z)[/tex]

[tex]\sigma=-(\frac{\partial\sigma}{\partial\tau})|_{V}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]

Z = 1+exp(\frac{-\epsilon}{\tau})+exp(\frac{-2\epsilon}{\tau})
    [/tex]

[tex]F=-\tau log(1+exp(\frac{-\epsilon}{\tau})+exp(\frac{-2\epsilon}{\tau}))[/tex]

[tex]\sigma=-log(1+exp(\frac{-\epsilon}{\tau})+exp(\frac{-2\epsilon}{\tau}))-\tau\frac{[\epsilon\tau^{-2}exp(-\epsilon/\tau)+2\epsilon\tau^{-2}exp(-2\epsilon/\tau)]}{1+exp(\frac{-\epsilon}{\tau})+exp(\frac{-2\epsilon}{\tau})}[/tex]

Hows that look? I'm really rusty with my thermal physics so even though this is not very complicated, I just have no confidence. One thing I was worried about was my partition function. When is the function I used applicable, and when do I need to use

[tex]Z_{N}=\frac{Z^{N}_{1}}{N!}?[/tex]

As I type this I am becoming increasing doubtful that I used the right partition function. Thanks for reading!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2010 #2
    Is my question ill posed? Please if you read this say anything, say whatever you think even if you don't know.

4. Jan 19, 2010 #3
    Now I am feeling rather sure that all I need to do is replace my Z with Z^N and I have my answer. Any thoughts?

5. Jan 20, 2010 #4
    Anyone? Anything?

I just noticed a mistake in my first post, the second equation should be sigma=(partial F)/(partial tau). But if you can help me you probably knew that already...

6. Jan 20, 2010 #5
    Using Z = Z_1^N/N! , you should get the correct expression.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook