1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Entropy principle

1. Nov 14, 2014 #1
    Whilst I understand that entropy is a measure of the number of specific ways in which a system may be arranged. The units for entropy don't make sense to me intuitively. Why joules per kelvin? What way at all does that show how "disordered" a system is. When I hear joules per kelvin, I think of energy/average thermal energy.

What does the energy and temperature represent in this case?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You can transform it to a dimensionless value with the Boltzmann constant. And that is just a unit conversion factor.

4. Nov 15, 2014 #3

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here is a nice video on why the "disorder" interpretation of entropy is misleading:

More links in the video description on youtube.

5. Nov 15, 2014 #4

td21

Gold Member

Why joules per kelvin?
    It follows from the second law of thermodynamics.
    What does the energy and temperature represent in this case?
    It is the change of entropy. In this case, energy is the heat transferred into the system and temperature is the absolute temperature (in Kelvin) the system at.

6. Nov 19, 2014 #5
    So the temperature is the absolute temperature before the heat energy is transferred into the system?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook