What is the change in entropy of raspberry jelly during heating?

• Thread starter Sheneron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Entropy
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of making raspberry jelly, which involves combining raspberry juice and sugar and heating it on a stove until it reaches a specific temperature. The specific heat of the juice and sugar are mentioned, as well as the calculation for the energy absorbed during the heating process. The remaining question is how to calculate the minimum change in entropy during the heating process. Suggestions are made to use the equation m*c*ln(Tf/Ti) for both materials and then add them together.
Sheneron

Homework Statement

In making raspberry jelly, 952 g of raspberry juice is combined with 930 g of sugar. The mixture starts at room temperature, 23.0°C, and is slowly heated on a stove until it reaches 220°F. It is then poured into heated jars and allowed to cool. Assume that the juice has the same specific heat as water. The specific heat of sucrose is 0.299 cal/g·°C. Consider the heating process.

(b) How much energy does the mixture absorb?
(c) What is the minimum change in entropy of the jelly while it is heated?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated part b, but I can't figure out how to do part c. For part b I got an answer of 4.19 x 10^5 J.

I just can't figure out what to do for part C. Since it absorbs 4.19 x 10^5 J I did Q/T, but that is wrong. Any help would be nice, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Would I find the entropy by using m*c*ln(Tf/Ti) for both of the materials and then adding that together?

Anyone?

1. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. In simple terms, it is the amount of energy in a system that is unavailable for work.

2. How is entropy related to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that in a closed system, the total entropy will always increase over time. This means that the amount of energy available for work decreases as the system becomes more disordered.

3. How is entropy calculated?

Entropy is calculated by dividing the amount of energy that is transferred or transformed in a system by the temperature at which the transfer or transformation occurs. It is typically measured in units of joules per kelvin (J/K).

4. What are some real-life examples of entropy?

One example of entropy in action is the melting of ice cubes. As the ice melts, the molecules become more disordered and the entropy of the system increases. Another example is the rusting of metal, as the metal becomes more disordered and less useful over time.

5. Can entropy be reversed?

While it is possible to decrease the entropy of a system in a localized area, the overall trend is for entropy to increase over time. Therefore, it is not possible to completely reverse entropy in a closed system.