1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Entropy. Quantum statistic

1. Jun 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate entropy for density matrix with eigenvalues ##0## and ##1##.

2. Relevant equations
    ##S=-\lambda_1 \ln \lambda_1-\lambda_2 \ln \lambda_2##
    where ##\lambda_1## and ##\lambda_2## are eigenvalues of density matrix.

3. The attempt at a solution
    How to calculate this when ##\ln 0## is not defined?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2013 #2
    I'm no expert, but...

What is the value of ##\displaystyle \lim_{\lambda_1\rightarrow 0}\left[\lambda_1\ln{\lambda_1}\right]##?

I think that is the only way to get a numerical answer here: make it approach what you want.

4. Jun 2, 2013 #3
    For a density matrix ρ with eigenvalues only 0 and 1, we have [itex] ρ = ρ^{2} [/itex]. This is true only for pure states and thus we know the Von Neumann entropy must be zero. To calculate it numerically I would guess the approach Mandelbroth suggested is valid.

5. Jun 2, 2013 #4
    What is interpretation of that. For pure state entropy is zero. Why?
    ##-1\ln 1-\lim_{\lambda \rightarrow 0}\lambda \ln \lambda=-\lim_{\lambda \rightarrow 0}\lambda \ln \lambda ##
    How to calculate this limit?

6. Jun 2, 2013 #5
    To calculate the limit let [itex] t = 1/x [/itex]. Then you have [tex] \lim_{t\to\infty}=\frac{log(1/t)}{t} = \frac{\infty}{\infty}.[/tex] Then use L'Hospital's Rule and you will get the answer. Otherwise, you could just type it into wolfram alpha.

7. Jun 2, 2013 #6
    Tnx a lot! And physically why entropy of pure state is zero?

8. Jun 2, 2013 #7
    It is easy to see mathematically why the entropy of a pure state is zero. However, why its true physically seems a much harder question, one I'm not sure I know how to answer.

9. Jun 2, 2013 #8

Mute

Homework Helper

Entropy is in some sense a measure of our uncertainty about the state a system. If a system is in a mixed state, is our uncertainty big or small? What about when it is in a pure state?

10. Jun 2, 2013 #9
    Pure state is minimum uncertainty so it makes sense Entropy would be zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted