1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Entropy Question

1. Sep 3, 2010 #1
    This question appears in "Schaums Outline of College Physics". Please click the link:

http://www.4shared.com/photo/jbJ3lZwT/ScreenHunter_01_Sep_04_1256.html"

My question is how can they use this equation (delta S=(delta Q)/T) when the temperature is not constant? They treat it as being constant by taking the average temp.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2010 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is just an approximation to use the mean temperature over such a small temperature change. The point is to show that total entropy increases.

To do it accurately involves a bit of calculus:

[tex]\Delta S_h = \int_{340}^{338} dS = \int_{340}^{338} dQ/T = \int_{340}^{338} n_1C_v dt/T = n_1C_v\ln\left(\frac{338}{340}\right) \approx n_1C_v\left(\frac{2}{339}\right) [/tex]

AM

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  4. Sep 4, 2010 #3
    Thanks for the reply. I suspected that was the case.

5. Sep 4, 2010 #4
    Elegant. I assume n1 is the mass.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  6. Sep 5, 2010 #5

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I intended n1 to be the number of moles of the gas in the first compartment and C_v to have units of J/mole K. I probably should have used m and Cv in units of J/kg K, since that is what is used in this example.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook