Schaums Outline: Entropy Ques - Tmp Not Constant

• Thread starter p75213
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Entropy
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the equation delta S=(delta Q)/T in cases where the temperature is not constant. It is noted that this equation can be treated as constant by taking the average temperature, but for accuracy, it involves using calculus. The equation is used to show that total entropy increases in a system, with n1 representing the number of moles of gas and C_v representing the specific heat capacity.
p75213
This question appears in "Schaums Outline of College Physics". Please click the link:

http://www.4shared.com/photo/jbJ3lZwT/ScreenHunter_01_Sep_04_1256.html"

My question is how can they use this equation (delta S=(delta Q)/T) when the temperature is not constant? They treat it as being constant by taking the average temp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
p75213 said:
This question appears in "Schaums Outline of College Physics". Please click the link:

http://www.4shared.com/photo/jbJ3lZwT/ScreenHunter_01_Sep_04_1256.html"

My question is how can they use this equation (delta S=(delta Q)/T) when the temperature is not constant? They treat it as being constant by taking the average temp.
It is just an approximation to use the mean temperature over such a small temperature change. The point is to show that total entropy increases.

To do it accurately involves a bit of calculus:

[tex]\Delta S_h = \int_{340}^{338} dS = \int_{340}^{338} dQ/T = \int_{340}^{338} n_1C_v dt/T = n_1C_v\ln\left(\frac{338}{340}\right) \approx n_1C_v\left(\frac{2}{339}\right) [/tex]

AM

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply. I suspected that was the case.

Andrew Mason said:
It is just an approximation to use the mean temperature over such a small temperature change. The point is to show that total entropy increases.

To do it accurately involves a bit of calculus:

[tex]\Delta S_h = \int_{340}^{338} dS = \int_{340}^{338} dQ/T = \int_{340}^{338} n_1C_v dt/T = n_1C_v\ln\left(\frac{338}{340}\right) \approx n_1C_v\left(\frac{2}{339}\right) [/tex]

AM

Elegant. I assume n1 is the mass.

Last edited:
p75213 said:
Elegant. I assume n1 is the mass.
I intended n1 to be the number of moles of the gas in the first compartment and C_v to have units of J/mole K. I probably should have used m and Cv in units of J/kg K, since that is what is used in this example.

AM

What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. It is often described as the amount of energy that is unavailable to do work.

How is entropy related to the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. In other words, the disorder or randomness of a system will naturally tend to increase.

What is the difference between isentropic and adiabatic processes?

Isentropic processes are those in which the entropy of a system remains constant. Adiabatic processes, on the other hand, refer to those in which no heat is exchanged between the system and its surroundings.

What is the significance of a constant temperature in the calculation of entropy?

In order to calculate entropy, a constant temperature is required. This is because entropy is directly proportional to the temperature of a system, meaning that as temperature increases, so does entropy.

How can the concept of entropy be applied in different fields of science?

Entropy has applications in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, biology, and information theory. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of systems and processes, such as chemical reactions, biological systems, and communication systems.