1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Entropy with non constant specific heats

1. Mar 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider air inside a piston-cylinder device that is compressed adiabatically from p1 = 100kPa, T1 = 300 K, and V1 = 0.5 m^3 to V2 = 0.03 m^3 and then heated at constant pressure until T3 = 2000 K. The heat is exchanged with a heat reservoir at TH = 2000 K. Determine P2, T2, P3, V3, W1-2, W2-3, Q2-3, and ∆1−2, without assuming constant specific heats, instead using data given in Table A7.1 in the text.

The table just gives standard entropy.

2. Relevant equations

I really just need to find T2 and can get everything else from there. The equation the professor gave was

S0(T2) - S0(T1) = R*ln(V2/V1) + R*ln(T2/T1)

where S0 is the standard entropy. I derived this myself as well and understand where it comes from.

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to substitute S0(T1) + R*ln(P2/P1) for S0(T2) but then it ends up cancelling T2 in the equation so I have no idea what to do.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?