Where can I find resources for becoming an HVAC engineer?

In summary, Dan is starting his first job as an entry level mechanical engineer at an architectural/engineering firm in January. He has interned with the company for two summers but would like more information and resources to help him adapt better to the HVAC field. One recommendation is to join ASHRAE and read their books. Others are welcome to share any advice they may have for HVAC or engineering in general.
dannyboy18
Hey all,

I am beginning my first job out of college this coming January. I will be working for an architectural/engineering firm as an entry level mechanical engineer designing HVAC systems. I have interned with them for two summers so the company is not completely foreign to me. However, I'd like more information, rules of thumb, etc. What books, resources, etc. do you guys recommend I read/study to help me adapt better to this field? (Unfortunately my school BARELY touches on the subject of HVAC).

Thank you,

Dan

Engineering news on Phys.org
Gosh guys, no advice?

I'm an HVAC engineer. Honestly, nothing we can say can help you as much as your internship could (as long as they had you doing more than just get coffee...). All I can think of to tell you is to join ASHRAE and get the books.

russ_watters said:
I'm an HVAC engineer. Honestly, nothing we can say can help you as much as your internship could (as long as they had you doing more than just get coffee...). All I can think of to tell you is to join ASHRAE and get the books.

Ok, thank you.

I am going to join ASHRAE right now. The internship was definitely helpful; I did A LOT more than just get coffee. lol

If anyone thinks of advice, whether it pertains to HVAC or engineering in general, PLEASE POST!

Thank you,

-Dan

join ashrae and knnow your limits

What is an Entry Level HVAC Engineer?

An Entry Level HVAC Engineer is a professional in the field of heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems. They are responsible for designing, installing, and maintaining HVAC systems in various settings, such as residential, commercial, or industrial buildings.

What are the job responsibilities of an Entry Level HVAC Engineer?

The job responsibilities of an Entry Level HVAC Engineer may vary depending on their specific role and employer, but generally include tasks such as performing calculations and analysis to design HVAC systems, conducting site visits and inspections, creating project plans, and troubleshooting and repairing HVAC equipment.

What qualifications do I need to become an Entry Level HVAC Engineer?

To become an Entry Level HVAC Engineer, you typically need a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or a related field. Some employers may also require relevant experience or certifications. Strong analytical, problem-solving, and communication skills are also important for this role.

What career opportunities are available for Entry Level HVAC Engineers?

Entry Level HVAC Engineers can pursue various career paths, including working for HVAC contractors, consulting firms, or government agencies. They may also have opportunities for advancement to higher-level engineering positions or managerial roles.

What is the job outlook for Entry Level HVAC Engineers?

The job outlook for Entry Level HVAC Engineers is generally positive, as the demand for energy-efficient and environmentally-friendly HVAC systems continues to grow. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment for HVAC engineers is projected to grow 6% from 2019 to 2029, which is faster than the average for all occupations.