Where Can I Find Entry Level Lab Tech Jobs?

In summary: A lot of people do great things with less than a BS in BioChem.In summary, if you are a full-time student, look for work as a temp or through a placement agency. If you are not a full-time student, consider taking more math or computer science classes.
APHELION
I'm trying to acquire an entry level lab tech/analyst position but have had very little correspondence from prospective employers. Currently, I only hold an associate's degree as a Biological Technician and am still a few years away from graduating with my B.S. in Biochemistry. My professional background is based in litigation support so when I submit my resume to these companies I stress my coursework, degree and technical aptitude as much as possible. I realize there are such things as internships for undergrads but I find it hard to believe that I couldn't at least find a low paying lab job just to gain some experience in a lab environment. Does anyone have any advice as to different approaches I could take or areas to look in? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you currently a full-time student?

3/4 time actually.

I worked as a lab tech when I was in school - it's a great way to get real world experience and references. The best way I found to get those jobs is through a temp agency - specifically, one that specializes in science/engineering placements.

In fact I was just reading that temp hiring is on the upswing. Companies need workers now, but aren't ready yet to commit to permanent hires until the economy turns around.

If you're a student, your professors might run labs and be willing to hire students on a part time basis.

get connections. i was a QC analyst in a chemical plant as a temp. do you have experience working on any common instruments (HPLC, GCMS are the most common), management experience, process engineering experience, maintenance or significant microscopy time?

i'd say, look for postings in your chemistry department's board, that's where i found my position, and emphasize your skill in 1 instrument. you should try to become an expert on at least 1 type of instrument, maybe not methodology development but at least be able to operate it completely independently (including maintainance) and be able to write good reports with excel.

Thank you all for the replies. I plan to try the temp agency and university routes and see what I can find. In the meantime I will take your advice chill factor and start sharpening my skills on the different instruments along with excel.

Another place to look is at public utilities (water & wastewater). They usually have labs or need someone who can run some basic tests. You can also go the medical lab route and see if Lab Corp or some similar place has jobs near you.

As an aside, I'd consider taking more math or computer science classes if you can. Anything that moves away from the bench will require these skills (and pays more money because it is actually useful). I'd also encourage you to consider options beyond a BS in BioChem. In my opinion, degrees like this are useless unless you want to make 35 K per year, want to go to law or med school etc. or want a PhD.

1. What are the typical requirements for an entry level lab tech job?

The requirements for an entry level lab tech job may vary depending on the specific position and company. However, most employers will require a minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent, as well as some coursework or experience in science, particularly in areas related to the specific job. Some employers may also require a bachelor's degree in a relevant field.

2. What duties and responsibilities can I expect to have as an entry level lab tech?

As an entry level lab tech, your duties and responsibilities will typically include assisting senior lab technicians or scientists with experiments, maintaining lab equipment and supplies, recording and organizing data, and following safety protocols. You may also be responsible for preparing samples, conducting basic tests, and completing administrative tasks as needed.

3. What skills and qualities are important for an entry level lab tech to have?

Some of the key skills and qualities that are important for an entry level lab tech include strong attention to detail, good organizational and time management skills, the ability to follow instructions and protocols accurately, and basic knowledge of laboratory techniques and equipment. Good communication skills and the ability to work well in a team are also important.

4. What types of industries or fields typically hire entry level lab techs?

Entry level lab techs can be hired in a variety of industries and fields, including healthcare, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, food and beverage production, environmental science, and academic research. Many companies and organizations that conduct scientific experiments or tests may also have a need for entry level lab techs.

5. What opportunities for growth and advancement are available for entry level lab techs?

Entry level lab techs may have opportunities for growth and advancement within their current company or industry. With additional education and experience, they may be able to advance to more senior lab tech positions, such as a lead lab tech or lab manager. They may also have the opportunity to pursue further education and advance into other scientific or technical roles.