Efficient Enumeration of Elements in a Group Defined by Generators

In summary, the conversation is about enumerating all elements of a group defined by generators. The person is looking for an algorithm to do so and mentions using the letters a, b, c, and d to represent the elements. They also mention removing redundant copies and suggest using a simplification algorithm. The other person suggests replacing c with b-1 and d with a-1 to simplify the process, but the first person is confused as to why they should add extra letters. They then explain their method of removing redundant copies by checking for substrings equal to 1 and identifying identical elements. However, they are still getting more elements than expected.
ethylparaben
Here is my problem:

i have group defined by generators, like:

< a, b | a^2 = b^3 = (ab)^5 = 1 >.

eg. from http://for.mat.bham.ac.uk/atlas/v2.0/alt/A5/

i can't find algorithm to enumerate all element of group ( 60 in this example ) based on generators.

thanks for any help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you enumerate all strings of symbols consisting of the four letters a, b, c, and d?

Assuming you can...

Just replace c with b-1 and d with a-1, and now you have an enumeration containing every element in the group.

All you have to do now is to remove redundant copies. I suggest looking for a simplification algorithm.

I'm sorry i don't get it.

Why i should add extra c and d letter if c = a^-1 = a and d = b^-1 = bb so i will get the same strings just by enumerate all strings of symbols consisting a and b ( i don't have problem with it)

next steep, as you wrote, should be remove redundant copies. I do it in two steps.

1. check if string consist substring equal to 1 ( 'aa' or 'bbb' or 'ababababab' )
2. check if string is identical to element: eg.

i got string 'babababab' and i know that a*a = 1 i replace one a by string to get a*babababab = ababababab = ab^5 = 1 so i know that 'babababab' = a

but still i get much more elements than i should get.

1. What is a group?

A group is a mathematical concept that refers to a set of elements with a binary operation (usually denoted as *). This operation must satisfy four properties: closure, associativity, identity, and inverse. In simpler terms, a group is a collection of objects that can be combined together using a specific operation, and the result will always be another object in the same collection.

2. What are the elements of a group?

The elements of a group can be any type of object, such as numbers, letters, or even functions. However, for a set of elements to form a group, they must satisfy the four properties mentioned before (closure, associativity, identity, and inverse).

3. How do you enumerate elements of a group?

To enumerate elements of a group, you need to identify the set of objects that form the group and list them out. Then, you can combine each element with itself and with other elements in the group using the binary operation. The resulting objects will also be elements of the group, and this process can be repeated to enumerate more elements.

4. What is the order of a group?

The order of a group is the total number of elements in the group. For example, if a group has 5 elements, its order is 5. The order can also be used to classify groups into finite (groups with a finite number of elements) and infinite (groups with an infinite number of elements).

5. Can a group have an infinite number of elements?

Yes, a group can have an infinite number of elements. This type of group is called an infinite group, and it is characterized by having a countably infinite number of elements. In other words, the elements can be listed out in a sequence, such as the set of all integers or the set of all real numbers.