1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Enumerete elements of group

1. Jan 13, 2010 #1
    Here is my problem:

i have group defined by generators, like:

< a, b | a^2 = b^3 = (ab)^5 = 1 >.

eg. from http://for.mat.bham.ac.uk/atlas/v2.0/alt/A5/

i cant find algorithm to enumerate all element of group ( 60 in this example ) based on generators.

thanks for any help :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2010 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you enumerate all strings of symbols consisting of the four letters a, b, c, and d?

4. Jan 13, 2010 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Assuming you can....

Just replace c with b-1 and d with a-1, and now you have an enumeration containing every element in the group.

All you have to do now is to remove redundant copies. I suggest looking for a simplification algorithm.

5. Jan 14, 2010 #4
    I'm sorry i don't get it.

Why i should add extra c and d letter if c = a^-1 = a and d = b^-1 = bb so i will get the same strings just by enumerate all strings of symbols consisting a and b ( i don't have problem with it)

next steep, as you wrote, should be remove redundant copies. I do it in two steps.

1. check if string consist substring equal to 1 ( 'aa' or 'bbb' or 'ababababab' )
    2. check if string is identical to element: eg.

i got string 'babababab' and i know that a*a = 1 i replace one a by string to get a*babababab = ababababab = ab^5 = 1 so i know that 'babababab' = a

but still i get much more elements than i should get.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook