Enviromental Physics: What Is It?

• Thread starter Engineering_Lo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: It is not the same as biophysics, which focuses specifically on the application of physics to biological systems.
Engineering_Lo
N.B- I already know this going to be a dumb question
BUT
...it's time for me to fulfill my enviromental science requirement at university... i.e I still haven't caught up to my other engineering majors in math and bide my time w/ random-ness. They had enviromental biology(depises biology), chemistry(almost hate that more than biology), and physics (physics is good 4 u).
I don't know anyone who's taken it at my university but judging from what they teach in the eniv. bio and chem, about the biological and chemical properties in nature/ enviroment( trees, animals, humans, things like that... sorry I'm so NOT a life science person)
So far the things I've studied in physics (both academically and personally) consist of the basics of general physics, wave mechanics, mechanics, astrophysics, particle (molecular) physics, quantum theory, optics, relativity, ... I know the areas of Physics are called different things sometimes in different areas of the world?

so is enviromental physics biophysics or what?
... sorry if this made absolutely no sense...english isn't my strong point.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Environmental physics is a branch of physics that applies the principles of physics to understand and solve environmental problems. It covers topics such as climate change, air quality, soil contamination, water resources, energy use, and waste management. Topics may also include atmospheric physics, hydrology, oceanography, geology, and biophysics.

Environmental physics is a branch of physics that focuses on the study of the interactions between the environment and physical systems. This includes the study of natural processes and phenomena such as climate change, air and water pollution, and energy production and consumption. It also involves the application of physics principles and techniques to understand and address environmental issues.

In contrast to environmental biology and chemistry, which focus on the biological and chemical aspects of the environment, environmental physics places emphasis on the physical properties and processes of the environment. This can include the study of energy transfer, thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, and radiative transfer, among others.

So, to answer your question, environmental physics is not necessarily biophysics, although there may be some overlap in certain areas. It is a distinct field within physics that focuses on the environment and its interactions with physical systems. I hope this helps to clarify what environmental physics is and how it differs from other branches of science. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is environmental physics?

Environmental physics is a branch of physics that focuses on the study of physical processes and phenomena in the natural environment, including the atmosphere, hydrosphere, and biosphere. It combines principles from various fields of physics, such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism, to understand and predict the behavior of the environment.

2. How is environmental physics related to climate change?

Environmental physics plays a crucial role in understanding and addressing climate change. It helps us understand the physical processes that contribute to climate change, such as the greenhouse effect and the absorption of solar radiation by the Earth's atmosphere. Environmental physicists also use models and data to predict the future impacts of climate change and develop strategies to mitigate its effects.

3. What are some applications of environmental physics?

Environmental physics has many practical applications, including weather forecasting, air and water pollution control, renewable energy technologies, and sustainable agriculture. It also plays a role in the design and construction of buildings and infrastructure to withstand natural disasters and extreme weather events.

4. What are some key concepts in environmental physics?

Some key concepts in environmental physics include energy balance, radiative transfer, atmospheric dynamics, and fluid flow. Other important principles include the conservation of mass and energy, thermodynamics, and the laws of motion.

5. How can environmental physics help us make informed decisions about the environment?

Environmental physics provides us with a scientific understanding of the natural world, which is essential for making informed decisions about the environment. By studying physical processes and phenomena, environmental physicists can help us understand the impacts of human activities on the environment and develop sustainable solutions to environmental issues.