Understanding Environment-Induced Superselection in Quantum Systems

• B
  • Thread starter fanieh
  • Start date
In summary, environment-induced superselection is a phenomenon in quantum systems where the interaction with the environment causes the system to collapse into a specific state, losing its quantum properties. It differs from other types of quantum measurements as it does not require a conscious observer. This poses a challenge for quantum computing and has implications for real-world applications and fundamental questions in physics. Ongoing research efforts aim to better understand and control environment-induced superselection, and explore its potential applications in quantum technologies.
fanieh
What exactly is the meaning of environment being slow?

Maximillian Schlosshauer book Decoherence mentions this:

"Let us now consider the situation in which the modes of the environment are "slow" in comparison with the evolution of the system. That is, we assume that the highest frequencies (i.e. energies) available in the environment are smaller than the separation between the energy eigenstates of the system. In this situation, the environment will be able to monitor only quantities which are constants of motion. In the case of nondegeneracy , this quantity will be the energy of the system, thus leading to the environment-induced superselection of the energy eigenstates for the system (i.e., eigenstates of the self-Hamiltonian of the system)."

1. If the energies in the environment is smaller than the separation between the energy eigenstates of the system, does it mean it is accepted or not (as quantum as I know only unit can be accepted in QM)?

2. Why did it mention "constants of motion".. it is talking about position? Or is momentum consider constants of motion, why?

3. What does "nondegeneracy" mean?

4. Can you give an example where the environment is "slow" and energy of the system is chosen?

Help appreciated much.

Physics news on Phys.org
fanieh said:
What exactly is the meaning of environment being slow?

The quote you give answers this: "[W]e assume that the highest frequencies (i.e. energies) available in the environment are smaller than the separation between the energy eigenstates of the system..."

fanieh said:
If the energies in the environment is smaller than the separation between the energy eigenstates of the system, does it mean it is accepted or not

What do you mean by "accepted"?

fanieh said:
Why did it mention "constants of motion".. it is talking about position?

No. A constant of the motion is an observable that does not change with time; i.e., it commutes with the Hamiltonian. The Hamiltonian itself, i.e., energy, is always one such observable. There may be others, depending on the specific system.

fanieh said:
What does "nondegeneracy" mean?

It means each eigenstate of the observable (energy in this case) has a different, unique eigenvalue. So in the case of energy, it means every energy eigenstate has a different energy. Some systems have multiple energy eigenstates with the same energy; that complicates the analysis.

fanieh said:
Can you give an example where the environment is "slow" and energy of the system is chosen?

Does the book give any?

PeterDonis said:
The quote you give answers this: "[W]e assume that the highest frequencies (i.e. energies) available in the environment are smaller than the separation between the energy eigenstates of the system..."

But in what sense are "frequencies" related to "energies".. is it talking about frequency of photons?

What do you mean by "accepted"?

Photons emit by quanta (whole numbers) and not like 1.5 or 1.6888... is this not related to the "... are smaller than the separation between the energy eigenstates of the system"... so I understood bigger than the separation as no longer whole number (quantum)... is it like the concept where only certain wavelength can fit the orbital of atoms?
No. A constant of the motion is an observable that does not change with time; i.e., it commutes with the Hamiltonian. The Hamiltonian itself, i.e., energy, is always one such observable. There may be others, depending on the specific system.
It means each eigenstate of the observable (energy in this case) has a different, unique eigenvalue. So in the case of energy, it means every energy eigenstate has a different energy. Some systems have multiple energy eigenstates with the same energy; that complicates the analysis.
Does the book give any?

I think it mentioned about sugar handedness or the fact atoms are hidden inside molecules hence can't interact (line of sight) with the environment preferred basis and so position not chosen... but I just want other or actual examples from other people.

fanieh said:
in what sense are "frequencies" related to "energies"

##E = \hbar \omega##. This applies to anything, not just a photon.

fanieh said:
Photons emit by quanta (whole numbers) and not like 1.5 or 1.6888... is this not related to the "... are smaller than the separation between the energy eigenstates of the system"...

The quote you give doesn't say anything specifically about photons, so I don't know why you are thinking of them specifically. The point is that for the system to go from one energy eigenstate to another, the energy has to come from somewhere, and the only place available is the environment. If the highest energies available in the environment are much smaller than the separation between the system's energy eigenstates, then the environment can't supply enough energy for the system to go from one energy eigenstate to another; so the system will just stay in the eigenstate it starts out in (which will usually be the ground state).

1. What is environment-induced superselection in quantum systems?

Environment-induced superselection refers to the phenomenon where the environment, or external factors, can cause the state of a quantum system to collapse into a specific observable outcome. This is due to the interaction between the system and its surrounding environment, which leads to a loss of coherence and a reduction of the system's possible states.

2. How does environment-induced superselection differ from other types of quantum measurements?

Unlike other types of quantum measurements, environment-induced superselection is not a conscious act of observation by an observer. Instead, it is a result of the system's interaction with its environment, which causes the system to decohere and lose its quantum properties. This means that the system's state becomes well-defined and classical-like, without the need for an external observer.

3. What are the implications of environment-induced superselection for quantum computing?

Environment-induced superselection poses a challenge for quantum computing, as it limits the ability to maintain quantum coherence and thus perform complex calculations. This is because any interaction with the environment can cause the system to collapse into a classical state, disrupting the calculation process. Overcoming this challenge is a major focus of research in quantum computing.

4. How is environment-induced superselection relevant to real-world applications?

Environment-induced superselection has implications for a wide range of real-world applications, including quantum technologies such as quantum cryptography, quantum sensors, and quantum communication. It also has implications for fundamental questions in physics, such as the nature of measurement and the boundary between the quantum and classical worlds.

5. What are some current research efforts in understanding environment-induced superselection in quantum systems?

There are ongoing research efforts to better understand environment-induced superselection and its effects on quantum systems. This includes studying the role of different types of environments, developing methods for controlling and mitigating decoherence, and exploring the potential applications of superselection in quantum technologies. Additionally, there are efforts to further develop theoretical models and experimental techniques for studying superselection in different physical systems.