Why is a temporary directory created when using the Python library matplotlib?

In summary, the system does not have an environment variable called MPLCONFIGDIR, so when matplotlib tries to use it, it creates a temporary directory.
fog37
TL;DR Summary
Understanding and correctly using the PATH variable
Hello,
I am getting better at using the command line in Windows. I understand that the "set" command at the prompt shows all the various environment variables, PATH variable included, and I see many directories listed in the PATH. However, when I access the environment variables through the Windows GUI, through the Systems folder, I only see three directories in the PATH...Why so? The information should be exactly the same regardless of accessing through the command line or through the Systems folder...

1600478566961.png
I am trying to figure out the PATH variable because after having downloaded the Python library matplotlib, I get the following error that I don't fully understand:

matplotlib created a temporary config/cache directory at C:\Users\FOG37\AppData\Local\Temp\matplotlib-qqx1v1f5 because the default path (H:\.matplotlib) is not a writable directory; it is highly recommended to set the MPLCONFIGDIR environment variable to a writable directory, in particular to speed up the import of Matplotlib and to better support multiprocessing.

Why was a temporary directory created?

1600478818571.png

Thanks!

Attachments

• 1600478772022.png
    1600478772022.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 238
Technology news on Phys.org
Windows has two levels of environment vars. System level managed by the system admin used by all apps and user level editable by the user which is merged with system level vars and used by command shells.

The path you see in the command shell is the merged path if the %path is used in its definition. Your scripts and commands launched from the shell use it but gui apps launched by clicking on the icon do not unless of course they are launching a command shell script that launches the gui app.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Klystron and fog37
fog37 said:
Summary:: Understanding and correctly using the PATH variable

Why was a temporary directory created?
Because the program was told by the environment variable MPLCINFIGDIR to write to the H:/.matplotlib directory.
However H:/.matplotlib is Write Protected. Since it could not write the results there, it created a new directory to save the results.

Others here can better tell you the specifics of why this occurred and what the solution is.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tom

Likes fog37
Thank you!

First of all, when I check in Windows, My PC, I only see the C: drive. I don't see a H drive:

1600519291261.png

2) As far as the environment variable MPLCINFIGDIR, I don't see this variable listed when I type "set" at the CLI prompt. I assume the initial MPL part of the variable name means matplotlib...

On a different forum, I read that some Python code should be added to my Python programs when using the visualization library matplotlib. I am still trying to make sense out of it and why this code is needed.

Is a temporary directory being created to store the graphs? why? Is the temp directory deleted later unless I save the graphs?

See below:
1600518581898.png

or
1600518633766.png

Thanks!

Last edited:
If you want to know some background, the relevant part of the matplotlib documentation is here: https://matplotlib.org/faq/environment_variables_faq.html?highlight=tempdir

If you just want to get it to work, the code in the second image* will work better than the first (because it deletes the temporary directory on exit).

* Rather than post images of code, it is better to post code between [code=Python]...[/code] tags, or use the </> icon in the text editor.

Likes fog37
Thanks for the link, pbuk.

At the link, I read that: MPLCONFIGDIR is the directory used to store user customizations to Matplotlib, as well as some caches to improve performance."
I guess the PATH variable MPLCONFIGDIR is not existing (yet) in my Windows. Also, when I type "where matplotlib" at the prompt, no result is shown...

"If MPLCONFIGDIR is not defined, HOME/.config/matplotlib and HOME/.cache/matplotlib are used on Linux, and HOME/.matplotlib on other platforms, if they are writable. Otherwise, the Python standard library's tempfile.gettempdir is used to find a base directory in which the matplotlib subdirectory is created."

My home directory is C:\Windows. This means that typing C:\Windows/.matplotlib at the prompt should do something but it does not... I found the root(home) directory typing "set systemroot.

thanks!

As an aside, please be aware that on Linux dot directories like .cache won’t appear when you do an ls -alh unless you do something like ls -alh .* to actually list them.

jedishrfu said:
on Linux dot directories like .cache won’t appear when you do an ls -alh

Yes, they will; the -a option means "include names that begin with a dot".

Quite true, I've been conditioned to always use those options though sometimes i skip them.

fog37 said:
I guess the PATH variable MPLCONFIGDIR is not existing (yet) in my Windows. Also, when I type "where matplotlib" at the prompt, no result is shown...
I think you mean the ENV variable MPLCONFIGDIR. PATH is itself an ENV variable which in Windows is called Path.
fog37 said:
My home directory is C:\Windows ... I found the root(home) directory typing "set systemroot.
That is not your home directory which is likely to be something like C:\Users\fog37, but in any case Windows does not store this in HOME, it uses HOMEPATH. The directory C:\Windows (or the equivalent) is stored in windir.

Confused yet? You should be, because environment variables don't translate well from Linux to Windows environments.

As I said before the best way out of this mess is to use code like the second example you posted which will work on either Linux or Windows and avoid the warning message, although you could just ignore the warning and it will still work (but might be slower).

Likes fog37

1. Why is a temporary directory created when using the Python library matplotlib?

A temporary directory is created when using the Python library matplotlib because it allows for the creation of temporary files that can be used for storing data or images during the execution of a program. This is particularly useful when working with large datasets or when generating complex visualizations.

2. How is the temporary directory created in matplotlib?

The temporary directory in matplotlib is created using the tempfile module in Python. This module provides functions for creating temporary files and directories, and deletes them automatically when they are no longer needed.

3. Can the temporary directory in matplotlib be customized?

Yes, the temporary directory in matplotlib can be customized by specifying a different location or name for the directory. This can be done by setting the tempdir parameter in the matplotlib.pyplot.savefig() function.

4. How does using a temporary directory affect the performance of matplotlib?

Using a temporary directory in matplotlib can improve performance by reducing the amount of memory used for storing data or images. This is because the temporary files are stored on the disk rather than in the computer's memory. Additionally, the temporary directory can be deleted after the program has finished running, freeing up space on the disk.

5. Do all matplotlib functions create temporary files in the temporary directory?

No, not all matplotlib functions create temporary files in the temporary directory. Only functions that generate visualizations or save data to a file will create temporary files. Functions that simply manipulate or display data will not create temporary files.