Environmental damage seen from shuttle

• Thread starter Rabid
  • Start date
Skyhunter said:
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-08/09/content_3331277.htm

Just like a woman to be able to multi-task so efficiently.
I'll bet she's a mom.

Ever seen the back seat of a minivan of a Mom?

Now wonder she can land a brick like the Space Shuttle.

Probably why she can see stuff in the earth most people here can't.

Moms can see EVERYTHING.

Moms are the closest things we have to people with superpowers.

The Smoking Man said:
I'll bet she's a mom.

Ever seen the back seat of a minivan of a Mom?

Now wonder she can land a brick like the Space Shuttle.

Probably why she can see stuff in the earth most people here can't.

Moms can see EVERYTHING.

Moms are the closest things we have to people with superpowers.
Yeah. Big Grin. Big, big grin.

We live in earthquake country and were rudely awakened at about 5:07 this morning by what we thought was a sizable quake of the "boom, boom" variety. Dad ran to check on the kids and I ran to check the news and we found out it was the *shuttle* passing overhead.

Big grin. Things like this are so cool - makes me happy to be American.

devil-fire
i think people are taking her words too seriously if just because they assume others will. i took her words kind of off handedly, not as a global policy nasa is trying to promote to the world. i hate to think of the reaction some of the people posting here would have if collins said the view from the space shuttle was "good and made her value to opportunity nasa gave her to go into space". would this indicate all environmental conditions are "good" ?

small comments are being taken to apply to more then they were meant to.

edward said:
If the earth was the size of the average desk, 95% of the atmosphere would be much much thinner than a piece of paper laying on it.
Where did you get this? I did some investigating on the interweb and found the following:

http://mediatheek.thinkquest.nl/~ll125/en/atmos.htm [Broken]

atmos.htm said:
The Troposphere
The Troposphere is the lowest layer of the atmosphere and measures about 7 miles(12 km). It contains over 75 percent of all the atmosphere's gases and vast quantities of water and dust.

Stratosphere:
The Stratosphere extends from the tropopause up to its boundary (the Stratopause), 31 miles(50 km) above the Earth's surface. In this layer there is 19 percent of the atmosphere's gases and it contains little water vapour.
So 94% of the atmosphere is in a layer 31 miles thick.

http://www.lyberty.com/encyc/articles/earth.html

earth.html said:
The equitorial diameter of the Earth (distance from one side of the Earth to the other at the equator) is about 7,926 miles.

So dividing 7926/31, I get a ratio of 260. For your analogy to be correct, a desk would have to have the roughly the same height as the thickness of a 520 page paperback book (2 pages per piece of paper). In other words, the atmosphere is not so thin as your analogy would indicate.

I do not stand by these figures. If someone has more authoritative data, please let us know.

As for that astronaut, I think she sheds much heat and no light on this important topic. What a waste of such a precious resource.

Last edited by a moderator: