Is Environmental Engineering the Perfect Career Choice?

In summary, the speaker is seeking insight into the field of Environmental Engineering and is drawn to its potential for making a positive difference and working outdoors. However, they are also concerned about potential challenges such as paper pushing and lack of creative opportunities. The other participant in the conversation mentions that environmental engineering jobs are regularly available in their area, suggesting good career opportunities. They also provide a link to the courses offered at their university for this field.
blaughli
Hi everyone,

I am looking for insight from those with experience into what Environmental Engineering actually is. It sounds like everything I want in a career, but I'm worried that it's too good to be true. I've heard some sad tales of paper pushing and lack of creative opportunities, but I'm drawn to the prospect of making a positive difference and working outdoors.

Any thoughts are welcome, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
These are the courses you would be taking if you come to my university;

https://www2.carleton.ca/engineering-design/ccms/wp-content/ccms-files/Environmental_April_15_11.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
In my part of the world (Seattle-Tacoma, Washington, USA), environmental engineering jobs are regularly posted in the 'help wanted' ads. So it seems to me there are good career opportunities.

1. What is Environmental Engineering?

Environmental engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the application of scientific and engineering principles to protect and improve the environment. It involves the study of various environmental issues such as pollution, waste management, and sustainability, and the development of solutions to address these problems.

2. What are the main responsibilities of an Environmental Engineer?

An environmental engineer is responsible for designing, implementing, and evaluating solutions to prevent or control environmental hazards. They work to ensure that our air, water, and soil are safe and clean for human use and to protect the natural environment from pollution and degradation. They also play a crucial role in promoting sustainable practices and minimizing the impact of human activities on the environment.

3. What skills are required to become an Environmental Engineer?

Environmental engineering requires a strong foundation in math, science, and engineering principles. In addition, environmental engineers should have excellent problem-solving, critical thinking, and communication skills. They must be able to work well in teams and have a good understanding of environmental regulations and policies.

4. What are some common areas of specialization in Environmental Engineering?

Environmental engineering is a broad field, and there are various areas of specialization within it. Some common specializations include water resources engineering, air quality engineering, waste management, and sustainable design and development. Other areas of specialization may include environmental remediation, renewable energy, and climate change mitigation.

5. What are the career prospects for Environmental Engineers?

The demand for environmental engineers is expected to grow in the coming years as the need for sustainable practices and environmental protection increases. Environmental engineers can find employment in a variety of industries, including government agencies, consulting firms, research institutions, and corporations. With experience and further education, they can advance to higher positions such as project managers, environmental consultants, or professors.