1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Environmental Engineering

1. Aug 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi I need help on my Environmental Engineering subject!

Here is the problem:

An industry, on the banks of a lake, discharges a pollutant into the lake. The river flow is 10 m3/s, the waste flow is 0.1 m3/s, the pollutant’s concentration in the river is 20 mg/l and in the waste flow it is 3000 mg/l.

What is the flow rate out and what is the concentration of the pollutant in the outflow?

HERE is the Graph!
    http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/1844/screenshot20110809at511.png [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

*The effectiveness of an environmental process in removing a contaminant can be determined using the mass balance technique:

d/dt (M) = d/dt(in) - d/dt(out)

*The mass of contaminant per unit of time may be calculated as :

mass/time = (concentration)(flowrate)

*The mass flow rate is given by the equation:

d/dt M = CinQin - CoutQout

3. The attempt at a solution

My attempt was to get the flow rate out first with simply adding Q(in flow) and Q(wasteflow)

10 m3/s + 0.1 m3/s = Q(out flow)
    = 10.1 m3/s

Now I'm confused with the concentration part I dont know how to apply the said equation above to this problem

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted