Undergraduate's Journey into Environmental Physics

In summary, the speaker is a physics undergraduate who is interested in pursuing a career related to the environment. They have considered options such as conservation biology and environmental engineering, but are also interested in alternative/renewable energy and how physics can be applied to solve environmental problems. They are seeking advice from others in the physics community on potential paths to explore.
erbium-indium
I've started the undergraduate's journey into physics. Although I'm still working through pre-req's I wanted to get a solid grasp on before the degree itself, I already have a vague idea of what I want to do after. However this doesn't go to say my choice is definite, but I've always been passionate about the environment.

A few years ago I considered Conservation Biology, but realized that I wanted to work from the inside out as far as problems we face with the environment. Or at least work to gain the most fundamental understanding of the physical world.

I'm sure there are many fields a degree in physics could lead, but I'm wondering if there are people on this forum that are involved/interested in alternative/renewable energy, environmental study, etc, with a physics background? There might be some obvious answers, because I personally think physicists are "trained" to be some of the world's greatest critical thinkers which opens various study paths. However I'd love to hear what others think :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Physics is an interesting study of the nature of matter and the forces of the universe. However, when considering biology and the like, a more practical degree might be Chemistry. Think of Chemistry as a well known case of applied physics.

Perhaps geology, environmental science, or chemistry would be more suitable for your interest or look at work in the energy sector. I see a lot of physics guys getting MS in mechanical or nuclear engineering and working at power plants

Where I went to graduate school there was a program called environmental engineering. That might be the kind of thing your'e looking for.

As a physicist working on environmental problems you could end up doing modeling work, or socio-physics, or developing technolgies that are driven by a need to solve very specific problems. Physicists of course tend to be on the very cutting edge of this kind of stuff and then the engineers tend to be the ones that develop it into something that works and often because the physics behind the needed technology is already known, the physicists aren't even a part of the equation, I suspect.

In general I think there is a lot of interest in the scientific community and even within the realm of physics on tackling issues of enviromental stability. Unfortunately I also think that we're the choir and a lot of the environmental issues that exist in the world have known solutions - the biggest problem of all seems to be convincing the general population to adopt them.

How about mechanical or electrical engineering? You may want to narrow your focus a bit.

1. What is environmental physics?

Environmental physics is a branch of physics that focuses on the study of the natural environment and its interactions with physical systems. It involves applying principles of physics to understand and solve environmental problems, such as climate change, air and water pollution, and renewable energy resources.

2. What are the career opportunities for someone with a degree in environmental physics?

Graduates with a degree in environmental physics can pursue a variety of career paths, such as environmental consultant, renewable energy researcher, climate change analyst, or environmental policy advisor. They can also work in industries such as energy, agriculture, and government agencies.

3. What skills are important for an undergraduate student to develop in environmental physics?

In addition to a strong foundation in physics and mathematics, undergraduate students in environmental physics should also develop skills in data analysis, critical thinking, and problem-solving. They should also have a strong understanding of environmental science and be able to communicate complex ideas effectively.

4. What are some common courses in an environmental physics program?

Some common courses in an environmental physics program may include atmospheric physics, environmental chemistry, renewable energy systems, climate dynamics, and environmental modeling. Students may also take courses in environmental policy, sustainability, and ecology.

5. What are some current research topics in environmental physics?

Current research in environmental physics includes studying the impact of climate change on natural systems, developing renewable energy technologies, and improving air and water pollution control methods. Other topics of interest include ecological modeling, sustainable agriculture, and environmental policy analysis.