Environmental Physics: Career Paths & Info for Students

In summary, a freshman physics major is interested in combining their love for biology and ecology with their physics degree. They are looking for information on jobs in the field of environmental physics and plan on getting a biology minor and attending grad school. Suggestions are made to look into environmental engineering topics and research areas at their university to find potential interests.
jordy1113
Hi, I'm a freshman physics major. I initially went into physics to become an astrophysicist, since then I realized my love for biology (NOT medical) and ecology. I began to look into physics degrees and careers that could tie the two worlds together. The basic internet search has not helped me very much and my professors at school are all the typical solid-state, atoms, and laser types of physicists so they have been little help as well. I have found environmental physics is a real thing but very little beyond that. Could anyone tell me some samples of jobs in the field of environmental physics? Or just more about it in general? (edit: I do plan on getting a Biology minor in addition to a BS in physics and plan to go to grad school)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

It's good that you are realizing early-on in your schoolwork what you would like to head toward. Finding your calling can make a big difference in your job satisfaction.

I don't know if this helps, but maybe look at some of the things that are involved in Environmental Engineering to see if they give you ideas:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_engineering

There are topics such as how the change in climate of an area affect the life forms in there. Is this the sort of thing that interests you?
I suggest searching your university's website and look for research areas and see which department has projects that interest you. You may or may not join them but at least you will know where you can find people knowledgeable in these topics

1. What is environmental physics?

Environmental physics is a branch of physics that focuses on understanding the physical processes and phenomena that occur in the environment. This includes studying the interactions between the Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land, as well as the impact of human activities on the environment.

2. What are some career options for students with a degree in environmental physics?

Some common career paths for students with a degree in environmental physics include environmental consultant, climate scientist, oceanographer, atmospheric scientist, and renewable energy engineer. These professionals work in a variety of industries, such as government agencies, research organizations, and private companies.

3. What skills are important for a career in environmental physics?

Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid foundation in mathematics and physics, are essential for a career in environmental physics. Additionally, good communication and teamwork skills are important for working on interdisciplinary projects and presenting research findings.

4. What education is required for a career in environmental physics?

Most positions in environmental physics require a minimum of a bachelor's degree in physics, environmental science, or a related field. However, for more advanced positions, a master's or doctoral degree may be necessary. It is also beneficial to have coursework or experience in environmental science, chemistry, and computer modeling.

5. How does environmental physics contribute to addressing environmental challenges?

Environmental physics plays a crucial role in understanding and addressing environmental challenges by providing a scientific framework for studying and predicting the behavior of complex environmental systems. This knowledge is used to develop solutions and policies for mitigating the impact of human activities on the environment and promoting sustainable practices.