1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Enzyme Activity

1. Sep 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A student purified cox-2. The crude extract contained 12 g of protein and had 23,000 units of cox-2 activity in 800 mL. The final purification using an affinity column resulted in 3 mL that was 2,300 fold pure. What was the activity of 5 microL of the final purification?

2. Relevant equations

See below.

3. The attempt at a solution

Under my assumption, enzyme units will be represented by micromol/sec/mL for each purification step. Purification is reflected through specific activity. Therefore,

Crude extract’s specific activity = micromol/sec/mg protein = (23,000 micromol/sec/mL * 800 mL)/(12,000 mg) = 1533.33 micromol/sec/mg

Fold of purification = final purification’s specific activity / crude extract’s specific activity

final purification’s specific activity = Fold of purification * crude extract’s specific activity = 2300*1533.33 micromol/sec/mg = 3.53*10^6 micromol/sec/mg

This part is where I am confused over as total enzyme activity does not include mg of protein.

Is this setup permissible?

12 g / x = 800 mL / 3 mL, where x = final purification’s total mass of protein in g??

If above is true, then:

X = .045 g = 45 mg

3.53*10^6 micromol/sec/mg * 45 mg = 1.587*10^8 micromol/sec

Activity in 3 mL = (1.587*10^8 micromol/sec)/(3 mL) = 5.29*10^7 micromol/sec/mL

The total enzyme activity in 5 microL of final purification is: 5.29*10^7 micromol/sec/mL * (5*10^-3 mL) = 2.65*10^5 micromol/sec.

I don’t know if I have my unit definitions correct, so please tell if my setup is correct. If my approach is wrong, then guide me.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted