Enzyme-based hot tub treatments

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hot
In summary, there is a product called Spamarvel that claims to eliminate the use of chlorine and bromine in pools and hot tubs. It is made with natural enzymes, minerals, and plant extracts, and contains skin conditioning properties. However, its effectiveness and claims are questionable, and it may not actually eliminate the use of multiple chemicals. The use of lanolin and other natural compounds may also raise concerns. Overall, there are doubts about the validity and effectiveness of this product.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
This is a product that's supposed to do away with itchy, smelly chlorine and bromine.

http://www.spamarvel.com/index.html"
"...a unique formulation of natural enzymes, minerals and plant extracts and
contains no chlorine, bromine or other harsh chemicals ... made with
seaweed, lanolin and other natural compounds as well as Vitamins C and D which contain
skin conditioning properties..."

It sounds too good to be true.

I asked why every pool supply and hot tub outlet isn't selling this product. The response was: "they make their money on chlorine and bromine sales; this would knock out their bread & butter."

So how can I determine if this product is a viable alternative to bromine?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't dismiss an enzyme as potentially being as effective as chlorine at killing bacteria and algae, though I would question it being less harsh than chlorine. On the other hand, lanolin is the greasy/waxy substance in sheep's wool that is used as a moisturizer (skin lotion), and serves the sheep well by being a good water repellant so they don't get soggy very fast when it rains on them; how would that mix with water in a pool or hot tub? Likewise, vitamin E is a lipid soluble vitamin, not water soluble. It doesn't seem consistent with the idea of a "scum free" pool.

It also fails its own claim of eliminating multiple chemicals...chlorine is only ONE chemical...chlorine. A mixture of enzymes, lanolin, vitamins, and other "natural" compounds is, by definition, a mixture of a LOT of chemicals.

Personally, I'd be more concerned about bathing in an unnamed enzyme mixture than a pool with a low concentration of chlorine.

...made with seaweed, lanolin and other natural compounds as well as Vitamins C and D which contain skin conditioning properties...

Sounds like marketing BS. I'm surpised they don't claim that the seaweed is "organically grown."

Besides, lanolin smells like a wet sheep.

These enzymes bond to the contaminant that enters the water
(by using naturally occurring magnetically charged technology).
Doesn't explain anything.

Moonbear said:
... Likewise, vitamin E is a lipid soluble vitamin, not water soluble. It doesn't seem consistent with the idea of a "scum free" pool.

Yes, definitely scum free is the way to go when dealing with (or in) hot tubs! As my daughter would say, "Yeah, I went there!":smile:

1. What are enzyme-based hot tub treatments?

Enzyme-based hot tub treatments are products that use natural enzymes to break down organic contaminants in hot tub water. These enzymes act as a more eco-friendly alternative to traditional chemicals, and help maintain a clean and healthy hot tub environment.

2. How do enzyme-based hot tub treatments work?

The enzymes in these treatments work by breaking down organic compounds, such as body oils, lotions, and other contaminants, into smaller, more manageable molecules. This makes it easier for the hot tub's filtration system to remove them from the water, keeping it clean and clear.

3. Are enzyme-based hot tub treatments safe to use?

Yes, enzyme-based hot tub treatments are typically considered safe to use. They do not contain harsh chemicals, making them gentler on the skin and less likely to cause irritation. However, it is still important to follow the instructions and dosage recommendations provided by the manufacturer.

4. How often should enzyme-based hot tub treatments be used?

The frequency of enzyme-based hot tub treatments will depend on various factors, such as the size of the hot tub, the number of users, and the amount of contaminants present. It is recommended to follow the instructions on the product label, but in general, these treatments should be used at least once a week.

5. Can enzyme-based hot tub treatments replace traditional chemicals?

No, enzyme-based hot tub treatments are not meant to replace traditional chemicals completely. While they can help reduce the amount of chemicals needed, it is still important to use chlorine or bromine to maintain proper disinfection levels in the hot tub water.

Back