Enzyme Confusion: Lowering Activ. Energy & Bond Strain

• Thread starter ifihadsomebacon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusion
In summary: This can lower the energy of the transition state and promote catalysis.In summary, enzymes lower the activation energy of a reaction by stabilizing the transition state or allowing the reaction to occur through a different transition state. This can be achieved through various mechanisms, such as putting physical strain on the substrate. The energy required for this strain comes from the thermodynamically favorable binding interaction between the enzyme and the substrate.
ifihadsomebacon
So, I know that enzymes are not consumed in the reactions they catalyze, and that they catalyze these reactions by lowering the activation energy. So, in an uncatalyzed reaction, more energy is required to "kick off" the reaction, resulting in the same overall change in free energy. I'm just sort of confused as to how this happens, is the enzyme-substrate1-substrate2 transition state just a lower energy state than the substrate1-substrate2 state?

Also, I read in my Biology textbook that bond strain was one of the ways that enzymes can catalyze a reaction, but enzymes don't contribute any energy. Doesn't the enzyme putting physical strain on a substrate require energy? Where does that come from?

Physics news on Phys.org
Borek said:
Not sure what you mean by substrate1-substrate2 state, I feel like you are making that up.

Have you seen diagrams like this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enzyme#/media/File:Enzyme_catalysis_energy_levels_2.svg

I guess I was just trying to refer to the transition state with the enzyme vs. the transition state without the enzyme, sorry if I was unclear. But thank you, that diagram actually helped a lot, all of the ones in my biology textbook are a lot more basic.

ifihadsomebacon said:
So, I know that enzymes are not consumed in the reactions they catalyze, and that they catalyze these reactions by lowering the activation energy. So, in an uncatalyzed reaction, more energy is required to "kick off" the reaction, resulting in the same overall change in free energy. I'm just sort of confused as to how this happens, is the enzyme-substrate1-substrate2 transition state just a lower energy state than the substrate1-substrate2 state?

There are many ways that an enzyme can lower the activation energy of a chemical reaction. Almost always, this occurs by lowering the energy of the transition state. This could occur by stabilizing the transition state through interactions of the transition state with the enzyme or it could occur by allowing the reaction to occur through a different transition state than the uncatalyzed reaction. The exact details of how the enzyme does this will depend on the enzyme being studied.

Also, I read in my Biology textbook that bond strain was one of the ways that enzymes can catalyze a reaction, but enzymes don't contribute any energy. Doesn't the enzyme putting physical strain on a substrate require energy? Where does that come from?

In general, the interaction between an enzyme and its substrate is a thermodynamically favorable (exergonic) process that results in a release of free energy. Sometimes, this free energy of binding can be used for purposes such as putting strain on a molecule to promote catalysis. Imagine putting two magnets on either side of a wall that is 5 ft apart (an enzyme active site with sites that interact with different parts of the substrate). Now imagine a 4 ft rubber band with magnets attached on either side (the substrate). If the magnets are strong enough, binding of the magnets on the rubber band to the magnets on the wall can stretch the rubber band and put strain on it. Similarly, strong binding interactions of the enzyme with one part of the substrate can allow the enzyme to force another part of the substrate to adopt a strained conformation.

Likes ephphatha16

1. What is enzyme confusion and how does it lower activation energy?

Enzyme confusion is a term used to describe the process of altering the shape or structure of an enzyme in order to lower the activation energy required for a reaction to occur. This is achieved by changing the active site of the enzyme, making it a better fit for the substrate, thus reducing the amount of energy needed for the reaction to take place.

2. How does enzyme confusion affect bond strain?

Enzyme confusion can also affect bond strain by altering the bond angles and distances in the active site of the enzyme. This makes it easier for the substrate to fit into the active site and form bonds, reducing the strain on existing bonds and making the reaction more efficient.

3. What techniques are used to achieve enzyme confusion?

There are several techniques that can be used to achieve enzyme confusion, including mutagenesis, site-directed mutagenesis, and directed evolution. These techniques involve altering the genetic code of the enzyme or introducing mutations to the enzyme in order to change its structure and function.

4. Can enzyme confusion be used in industrial processes?

Yes, enzyme confusion has been successfully used in various industrial processes, such as the production of pharmaceuticals, food processing, and biofuel production. By lowering the activation energy and bond strain, enzymes can increase the efficiency and speed of these processes, making them more cost-effective and environmentally friendly.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using enzyme confusion?

One potential drawback of using enzyme confusion is that it can sometimes result in decreased enzyme stability and activity. This can be overcome by carefully selecting mutations and using techniques such as directed evolution to optimize enzyme function. Additionally, enzyme confusion may also have unintended effects on other biochemical processes, so thorough testing and evaluation are necessary before implementing it in industrial or medical applications.