Solve Km with Alpha-ChymotrypsinHydrolysis & 4-Nitrophenyl Trimethylacetate

• Thread starter hard0174
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinetics
In summary, the lab manual asked for the determination of Kcat, [E]0act and K2/K using simplified equations for X, Y, and B. From these values, they also wanted to determine Km and p. After some initial confusion and difficulty, it was discovered that Km can be determined by combining the equations for Kcat and Km.
hard0174
I did a practical and am now trying to do the data analysis of it. the prac was the alpha-chymotrypsin catalyzed hydrolysis of 4-nitrophenyl trimethylacetate.
I have values for X, Y and B and the lab manual has asked "Using the approximated, simplified expressions for X (equation 2), Y (equation 3) and B (equation 4), determine Kcat, [E]0act and K2/K for each kinetic experiment.
From these values, determine Km and p."

I have calculated Kcat, [E]0act and K2/K, but can't work out how to determine Km.
the simplified equations are -
equation 2 is simplified to x ≈ Kcat.[E]0act (if [ S] >>km)
equation 3 is simplified to y ≈ [E]0act (if [ S] >>Km and K2>>K3)
equation 4 is simplified to B ≈ K2[ S]/K (if [ S]>>Km and K2>>K3)

where Kcat = K2K3/(K2+K3) ≈ K3 (if K2>>K3)
Km = K3K/(K2+K3)
the lab manual suggests "to determine Km, consider how K2/K can be derived from the expressions for
Kcat and Km."
I'm lost and not sure how to solve for Km. I have spent hours on it and just don't understand what it is I'm supposed to do.

Biology news on Phys.org
hard0174 said:
I did a practical and am now trying to do the data analysis of it. the prac was the alpha-chymotrypsin catalyzed hydrolysis of 4-nitrophenyl trimethylacetate.
I have values for X, Y and B and the lab manual has asked "Using the approximated, simplified expressions for X (equation 2), Y (equation 3) and B (equation 4), determine Kcat, [E]0act and K2/K for each kinetic experiment.
From these values, determine Km and p."

I have calculated Kcat, [E]0act and K2/K, but can't work out how to determine Km.
the simplified equations are -
equation 2 is simplified to x ≈ Kcat.[E]0act (if [ S] >>km)
equation 3 is simplified to y ≈ [E]0act (if [ S] >>Km and K2>>K3)
equation 4 is simplified to B ≈ K2[ S]/K (if [ S]>>Km and K2>>K3)

where Kcat = K2K3/(K2+K3) ≈ K3 (if K2>>K3)
Km = K3K/(K2+K3)
the lab manual suggests "to determine Km, consider how K2/K can be derived from the expressions for
Kcat and Km."
I'm lost and not sure how to solve for Km. I have spent hours on it and just don't understand what it is I'm supposed to do.

It is too hard work to guess some essentials of this question. I do not know what X, Y, B and p are. You give what equations 1, 2, 3 simplify to when [ S] >> Km , but not what these equations are. Maybe these simplified equations are meant to be used together with some others. Anyway, realize that you cannot get any information about Km from data where [ S] >> Km.

Really there are a great number of books or online sources that explain how to determine Km if that is the problem. Usually that involves expressing the Michaelis equation In terms of modified variables such as 1/v, 1/[ S] or others, and fitting to the best straight line.

If you need to reproduce here some of the lab manual photographically from an iPad or the like please use DocScan HD or similar app to clean it up, because we get some horrible unreadable dirty yellow pages often.

yes, I agree that there are easier ways to express Km but the lab isn't asking for that determination sadly. however, the problem has been resolved. Km can be determined by combining equations
Kcat = K2K3/(K2+K3) ≈ K3 (if K2>>K3)
Km = K3K/(K2+K3)

1. How does Alpha-ChymotrypsinHydrolysis work in the hydrolysis of 4-Nitrophenyl Trimethylacetate?

Alpha-Chymotrypsin is an enzyme that works by breaking down proteins into smaller peptides. In the hydrolysis of 4-Nitrophenyl Trimethylacetate, the Alpha-Chymotrypsin breaks the ester bond between the 4-Nitrophenyl group and the Trimethylacetate group, resulting in the formation of a 4-Nitrophenol molecule and a Trimethylacetate molecule.

2. What is the role of Km in the hydrolysis of 4-Nitrophenyl Trimethylacetate?

Km, also known as Michaelis constant, is a measure of the substrate concentration at which an enzyme works at half of its maximum velocity. In the hydrolysis of 4-Nitrophenyl Trimethylacetate, Km represents the concentration of the substrate at which the Alpha-Chymotrypsin enzyme works at its half maximal velocity.

3. How is Km determined in the hydrolysis of 4-Nitrophenyl Trimethylacetate?

Km can be determined by plotting a graph of the initial reaction velocity against different substrate concentrations. The Km value can be obtained from the x-intercept of the linear portion of the graph, which represents the substrate concentration at half of the maximum velocity.

4. What factors can affect the Km value in the hydrolysis of 4-Nitrophenyl Trimethylacetate?

The Km value can be affected by various factors, including temperature, pH, and the presence of inhibitors or activators. Changes in these factors can alter the enzyme's activity and, consequently, its Km value.

5. How can the Km value be used in the study of enzyme kinetics?

Km is a crucial parameter in enzyme kinetics as it provides information about the affinity of an enzyme for its substrate. A lower Km value indicates a higher affinity, while a higher Km value indicates a lower affinity. This information can be used to compare the efficiency and specificity of different enzymes and to study the effect of various factors on enzyme activity.