Enzymes & Catalysts: True or False?

• Thread starter parwana
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Enzymes
In summary, Cl lowers the activation energy of the reaction, which is why DE is the same whether Cl is present as a catalyst or not.
parwana
Which of the following are true about the following reaction ?

O3 + O --> 2 O2

a) The direct reaction breaks down O3 at a slower rate than the same reaction where Cl is used as a catalyst

b) When Cl is used as a catalyst, it functions as an intermediate in the resulting two-step mechanism

c) The presence of Cl provides a mechanism with lower Ea's than the direct reaction (in the absence of Cl)

d) DE (reaction energy) is the same whether Cl is present as a catalyst or not

e) When Cl is used as a catalyst it is a heterogeneous catalyst

I know for a fact that d is wrong, and i speculate that b is wrong as well. Please help, caus i know ctalysts lower activation energy, but which of these is correct, more than one can be correct.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
parwana said:
O3 + O --> 2 O2
b) When Cl is used as a catalyst, it functions as an intermediate in the resulting two-step mechanism

Google to check whether it is not the same reaction that is responsible for ozone layer depletion (I am not sure about details but IIRC Cl IS a part of the mechanism). If so, you will have a lot of data to find out correct answers.

Last edited by a moderator:
please help with this conufsing question, i know the catalyst lowers tha activation energy, so shouldn't a and c be right??

a) The direct reaction breaks down O3 at a slower rate than the same reaction where Cl is used as a catalyst
Yes, the catalyst affects the rate of reaction

I believe this is correct also, catalytic chemical reactions (homogenous) have the first step where the catalyst is consumed and then subsequently reappears at the end step.

c) The presence of Cl provides a mechanism with lower Ea's than the direct reaction (in the absence of Cl)
This seems correct, it lowers the activation energy of the reaction.

d) DE (reaction energy) is the same whether Cl is present as a catalyst or not
This seems correct also, I believe it depends on whether or not there are transition states in the reaction. Frequently [itex] \Delta E[/itex], corresponds to the rmodynamic properties and activation energy is a kinetic properties-the rate of reaction. In most cases the two don't correspond.

e) When Cl is used as a catalyst it is a heterogeneous catalyst
This doesn't seem right.

I'm not quite sure but try finding the environmental chemistry section of your text and browse for PVCs (also in the index of your text). Find the mechanism.

1. Are enzymes and catalysts the same thing?

No, enzymes and catalysts are not the same thing. While both can speed up chemical reactions, enzymes are specific biological molecules that act as catalysts in living organisms, while catalysts can be any substance that speeds up a chemical reaction.

2. Can enzymes and catalysts be used interchangeably?

No, enzymes and catalysts cannot be used interchangeably. Enzymes are highly specific in their actions and only work on particular substrates, while catalysts can work on a wide variety of reactions.

3. Do enzymes and catalysts change during a reaction?

No, enzymes and catalysts do not change during a reaction. They remain unchanged and can be used repeatedly to catalyze multiple reactions.

4. Are enzymes and catalysts necessary for all chemical reactions?

No, enzymes and catalysts are not necessary for all chemical reactions. Some reactions can occur spontaneously without the aid of enzymes or catalysts, while others require them to occur at a feasible rate.

5. Can enzymes and catalysts be denatured or deactivated?

Yes, enzymes and catalysts can be denatured or deactivated. Changes in temperature, pH, or other environmental factors can alter the shape and function of enzymes and catalysts, rendering them ineffective.