Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EP test?

1. Apr 28, 2010 #1
    It suddenly occurred to me that I've never heard of a test of the Equivalence Principle itself - such as something like .....

An accelerating laboratory [in space] can see very obvious effects in external astronomical observations. Depending on the rate of acceleration, there would be 'forward / backward' anisotropies in the galactic field spectra well as the CMB spectrum. If you 'hovered' over our moon, say, or 'hung' from a lunar tether at L1, would it be possible to detect spectral anisotropies looking away / towards the local gravitational field?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2010 #2

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Eotvos experiments are tests of the equivalence principle. The Eot-Wash group at UW does nothing but Eotvos experiments.

4. Apr 28, 2010 #3
    I guess what I really meant to ask is what would GR predict as the result for the experiment I describe. Some related questions:

1. Is there a spectral shift in images of objects observed in gravitational lensing?

2. Can you [in theory] produce a 'lensing' effect, the same as gravitation, with acceleration?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook