How Do You Solve a Complex Epicyclic Gearbox Assignment?

• Thread starter dstealth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Epicyclic
In summary, Chris is a first time poster on a mechanical engineering course and is currently stuck on an assignment question. The question is about finding the ratio of output speed to input speed in a complex epicyclic gearbox. Chris has answered a previous question on this topic but is struggling with this one as it is more complex and has not been taught in class. Any pointers or help would be appreciated.
dstealth
Hi all, I'm Chris, a first time poster!

Currently stuck on an assignment question for my mechanical engineering course. The question is shown in the picture below. The capital T refers to 'teeth', as in 20T is 20 teeth on that particular gear. Ignore the little arrows with P and S - that is just me labeeling up the planetary and the sun gears. I answered a previous question on epicyclic gearboxes no problem but we have not been taught how to answer one this complex:-

Picture 002.jpg

Any pointers?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The question is essentially asking for the ratio of the output speed to the input speed.

If I remember correctly the module m= D/T and for meshing gears, the modules are the same.

rock.freak667 said:
The question is essentially asking for the ratio of the output speed to the input speed.

If I remember correctly the module m= D/T and for meshing gears, the modules are the same.

Shown in the pictures is the previous question which that question is based upon, along with my working out. I calculated a 6:1 reeduction ratio for the first question and a fixing torque of 25.46 Nm. I just don't know how to do the second question of the 'modified' gearbox that I posted in the first post.

Picture 003.jpg

Picture 004.jpg

Thanks

I'm sure the working out is simple, it's just we haven't covered any examples like this in the lesson.

Hi Chris,

As a fellow scientist, I understand the struggle of complex engineering problems. The key to solving this question is to break it down into smaller parts and use the principles of epicyclic gearboxes to solve each part individually.

First, let's identify the different gears in this system. The sun gear has 20 teeth, the planet gear has 40 teeth, and the ring gear has 60 teeth. Based on this information, we know that the gear ratio between the sun gear and the planet gear is 1:2 (40/20) and the gear ratio between the planet gear and the ring gear is also 1:2 (60/40).

Next, we need to determine the overall gear ratio of the system. This can be done by multiplying the individual gear ratios. In this case, the overall gear ratio would be 1:4 (1:2 x 1:2).

To determine the direction of rotation, we can use the right-hand rule. If the sun gear is rotating clockwise, the planet gear will rotate counterclockwise and the ring gear will rotate clockwise. This can also be verified by looking at the arrows labeled P and S in the picture.

I hope this helps you get started on solving the complex question. Remember to apply the principles of epicyclic gearboxes and break down the problem into smaller parts. Good luck with your assignment!

1. What is an epicyclic gearbox?

An epicyclic gearbox, also known as a planetary gearbox, is a type of gear system that consists of one or more outer gears (called planet gears) revolving around a central gear (called a sun gear). This creates an epicyclic motion, which allows for a wide range of gear ratios and torque outputs.

2. How does an epicyclic gearbox work?

An epicyclic gearbox works by combining the rotation of the planet gears around the sun gear with the rotation of the outer ring gear. This results in a combination of input and output speeds and torque, which can be controlled by changing the configuration of the gears.

3. What are the advantages of using an epicyclic gearbox?

Epicyclic gearboxes offer several advantages, including high gear ratios, compact size, and efficient power transmission. They also have the ability to handle high torque loads and can operate in both forward and reverse directions.

4. What are the applications of epicyclic gearboxes?

Epicyclic gearboxes are commonly used in various mechanical systems, including automobiles, wind turbines, and industrial machinery. They are also used in household appliances like washing machines and blenders.

5. How do you maintain an epicyclic gearbox?

Proper maintenance of an epicyclic gearbox is essential for ensuring its longevity and efficiency. This includes regular cleaning, lubrication, and inspection for any wear or damage. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's guidelines for maintenance and to address any issues promptly to prevent further damage.