1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Epicyclic gearing: 3 free axes

1. Dec 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The teacher said it is possible to use an epicyclic gearing with no axis fixed but nobody use the gearing like that. I watched this video:

at time 42s it's possible to watch it. I have 2 questions:

1) Is it possible to used the epicycloidal train with no axis fixed ?

2) If yes, what is the ratio of reduction ? is it dependant of the torque ?

Maybe if you have a link ?

2. Relevant equations

--

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm looking for this case, but each time the epicyclic gearing is used with one fixed axis.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I don't see an argument against it.

You have to consider all three rotations at the same time. Things like a ratio of reduction that consider only two do not make sense any more. That's probably the reason they are not used in that mode.

4. Dec 16, 2014 #3
    I can set the input to the sun gear and the output to the ring gear (planets are free to turn like they want) ? Why there is no a ratio ?

In this case, it's possible to reduce a rotational velocity without give a torque on the support ?

5. Dec 16, 2014 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Then your output will not get any torque (neglecting friction). The free axis will rotate with the right speed to give zero output power.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted