Epistemic Perspective : Meanings ARE in the head

In summary, according to philosopher Hillary Putnam, meanings are not in the head, but are instead derived from our knowledge and understanding.
Drachir said:
<snip>

The unknown can only be explained in terms of the known. Meaning of the unknown can only be given by meanings of the known. Therefore, meaning is equality with possessed symbols.

<snip>
New symbols representing specific combinations of possessed symbols can be formed and memorized (learning).

<snip>
Meanings can only be in the head (brain).

<snip>.
Drachir, you equate meaning with posessed/memorized symbols. Why do you deny me, my symbols which I posess on paper, that gives meaning to some of my personal memories? (I hide these symbols from myself, simply because I do not need that sort of meaning resounding/rebounding in my head all the time, otherwise, I become dsyfunctional!).

Drachir, you yourself claim the unknown can only be explained in terms of the known.
Primarily, for something to be known, you should be able to show, it is indeed the configuration you posess in your head. To show this known case, you have to submit yourself to the external world, and compare/refine your meaning, which is essentially what Putnam claims - you are not a solipsist.

Here are two interpretations of meanings in your head:

(1) You can say meanings are in your head = you are a solipsist.
(2) You can say meanings are in your head = your head is a storage mechanism.

p.s. The difference to me reflects the division of labour between creating the meaning and discovering a meaning.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lord Ping in #70 you wrote:
“If Aristotle the person who [actually] taught Alexander had died aged two he would never have taught Alexander.” Then the referent of “Aristotle” is clearly the person who [actually] taught Alexander.
Yes.

The point is that, when imagining the counterfactual (some people think these possible worlds are as real as our own, but let's go with your suggestion that they are imaginary), something must specify who Aristotle-who-actually-taught-Alexander is. What's for certain is that it's not the person teaching Alexander in this possible world, because our guy is dead by this point.

Now, after agreeing to the idea of an imaginary world, you can’t get out of the habit of calling it a possible world. By the way, it does not follow that all imaginary worlds are possible worlds. But, I digress.

You are completely right where you wrote, “…something must specify who Aristotle-who-actually-taught-Alexander is”; however, that ‘something’ is you. You wrote a counterfactual about the historical fact that Aristotle taught Alexander. Intimately connected with that fact are other facts that you assume your readers to know: e.g., Aristotle was a philosopher of ancient Greece, and Alexander of Macedonia conquered most of his world.

The referent was implicit in your mind when you imagined and then wrote the counterfactual and is implicit in the mind of anyone that reads and imagines the counterfactual. The acts of imagining, writing, or reading a counterfactual do not in themselves produce an imaginary world in the minds of the writer or reader. If one chooses to imagine such a world one must have the facts, the counterfactual, the referent of the word ‘Aristotle’, and the imaginary world all in one’s mind simultaneously. What is shared by the real facts, the counterfactual, and the imaginary world it that they are all in the mind or a writer or reader.

Are you perhaps trying to have one foot in this world and another in that imaginary world? If it were possible for you to be in that other world, you would find that no one there would know anything about an Aristotle who taught Alexander. Maybe someone might know of a toddler named Alexander who died at age 2. They might think anyone a little addleheaded to ask about an Aristotle who taught Alexander. In their world Alexander became great because of his teacher Speusippos, who in that world switched at the last moment of his schooling to be a philosopher rather than an astronomer.

Why is it necessary that the referent in our world be the referent in their world? And why would failure to have a referent in their world imply something missing in our identification of the referent in our world, especially in light of all of this being in our own imaginations?

Meaning for our world is not to be found in imaginary other worlds. Meaning is in our heads.

basePARTICLE, in #71 you wrote:
Drachir, you equate meaning with posessed/memorized symbols. Why do you deny me, my symbols which I posess on paper, that gives meaning to some of my personal memories? (I hide these symbols from myself, simply because I do not need that sort of meaning resounding/rebounding in my head all the time, otherwise, I become dsyfunctional!)
I do not deny you your symbols on paper. What I would deny is the notion that the symbols on paper or in computer memory are meanings. The meanings of the symbols and of certain combinations of symbols are in your head, in your subconscious memory. At anyone time we can only be conscious of an extremely small portion of all that is in our memory. I use external symbol storage as a backup method to prevent loss of information in the event of memory failure, whether mine or the computer’s.

In that post you also wrote:
Drachir, you yourself claim the unknown can only be explained in terms of the known. Primarily, for something to be known, you should be able to show, it is indeed the configuration you posess in your head. To show this known case, you have to submit yourself to the external world, and compare/refine your meaning, which is essentially what Putnam claims - you are not a solipsist.
Fundamentally, knowledge is recallable memory. If you cannot recall where you put something, then you do not know where it is. If you cannot recall a poem, you do not know the poem. If you cannot recall your last thought, you do not know your last thought. For something to be known you should be able to recall it from memory; no reference to the external world is required for that. Furthermore, if one has knowledge of and finds meaning in abstractions such as the class of all classes, one need not submit oneself to the external world and compare/refine ones meaning. In that case submission to the external world and comparison/refinement would be meaningless.

One can, of course, have erroneous or insufficient knowledge of something. Correction of those deficiencies often requires access to the external world. Be aware, also, that some new knowledge can be acquired by ones own thinking. Euler’s relationship e^(i*pi) –1=0
is a good example. He was able to derive and validate that relationship with his own knowledge without reference to his external world. He did not have to submit himself to his external world to compare/refine his meaning in that now famous equation. Are you sure that Putnam would essentially claim otherwise?

In that post you also wrote:
Here are two interpretations of meanings in your head:

(1) You can say meanings are in your head = you are a solipsist.
(2) You can say meanings are in your head = your head is a storage mechanism.
An interpretation gives the meaning of something. Let’s see if your interpretations give valid meanings.

A solipsist is one who believes that only the self exists and that everything else is a figment of the self’s imagination. Therefore, merely believing that meanings are in the head does not imply solipsism. Thus, since (1) is false it fails as an interpretation of meanings in ones head.

As I wrote earlier in #37
Meaning presupposes significance.
Significance implies a being to which something can be significant: the self for example. That self resides in the head, as do also consciousness, the subconscious, the memory storage mechanisms, the memory retrieval mechanisms, the memory manipulation mechanisms, etc., etc. Therefore, the head is much more than merely a storage mechanism. Therefore (2) is also false and fails as an interpretation of meanings in ones head. How about the following:

(3) You can say meanings are in your head = you are catching on to the point of this thread.

Drachir said:
I do not deny you your symbols on paper. What I would deny is the notion that the symbols on paper or in computer memory are meanings.
Drachir, would you deny me a collection of symbols that give meaning?

Drachir said:
He was able to derive and validate that relationship with his own knowledge without reference to his external world. He did not have to submit himself to his external world to compare/refine his meaning in that now famous equation. Are you sure that Putnam would essentially claim otherwise?
Hmm, as a solipsist, he accomplished quite a lot, but what bothers me is why are you talking about his meaning, and how did you come about to be sporting Euler in your head?

Drachir, I think there is some thing you are hiding from me, something like a hidden variable, working along with, your meanings in the head thing!

Last edited:
basePARTICLE, in #74 you asked:
Drachir, would you deny me a collection of symbols that give meaning?
I cannot deny you anything, nor would I want to. If you want to think that symbols give meaning, fine. Maybe it’s just a language thing that separates us. For me a symbol is merely a token or placeholder. When we sense a symbol it stimulates our mind to find the memory (or memories) we have previously associated with that symbol. Without such previous association a symbol would be meaningless. I have never studied any language that uses the Cyrillic alphabet. Their symbols and combinations of symbols, whether written or spoken, are meaningless for me. If I were to learn the Russian language, i.e. put it into my memory, then its symbols would be meaningful to me. Perhaps my saying that symbols stand in place for meanings equates with your saying that symbols give meaning. Perhaps your use of ‘gives meaning’ is metaphoric, much as would be ‘leads to meaning’.

You also wrote:
Hmm, as a solipsist, he accomplished quite a lot, but what bothers me is why are you talking about his meaning, and how did you come about to be sporting Euler in your head?
I wrote about his meaning because it is an example of an idea whose meaning is not suggested by the world outside the mind. Euler is never far from my conscious mind because I studied advanced engineering math and at one time worked as an electronics engineer.

You also wrote:
Drachir, I think there is some thing you are hiding from me, something like a hidden variable, working along with, your meanings in the head thing!
Are you suggesting an ulterior motive? Not at all. I have been interested in epistemology since the late 50’s and its relationship to neurology since the mid 70’s. My mind is even open to presently unexplainable ways of knowing. I have always had a desire to understand all kinds of things. I think that knowledge should always be shared and frequently tested.

Drachir said:
octelcogopod in #43 you wrote:
I think you have it reversed. Spoken language facilitated abstract thought. The idea to represent a spoken word by a graphic symbol is an abstract idea that had to arise before there could ever be written language. Written language was a side effect of abstract thought.
Ah, that seems correct. But I do think that without the evolution of written symbols we would not be able to have evolved to this level of clarity in our abstract thought.
I think it may have had a snowballing effect, we started with symbols for the sun, clouds and other things we saw in nature and that snowballed to creating a proper language while both things developed at the same time (abstract thought and language.)
Certainly the way humans create symbols in their heads has gone on way before written language, but I do think the development of written language helped us get practice and gain intelligence. Same with knowledge, the more we read the more our brain understands a concept, so it's like a large web of symbols that represent meaning to each other, and this web grows with the vocabulary of the person..

In the same post you also wrote:
Words are not physical things; they are mental symbols we use to represent meanings stored in the brain. I am sure your considering words to be physical things is simply a mistake. A real inability to distinguish between physical things and mental things is a form of psychosis.
Well, what I meant by physical was that we write them down and they become ink on paper. Or we speak them out and they become audible soundwaves. I do not think we would be able to develop a language without the physical components.

In the same post you also wrote:
Fortunately we have never been without language. Bacteria communicate with a chemical language. Birds communicate aurally with their calls, visually with their body language, and with their touch language. We, too, have always communicated with visual, aural, and touch languages.
That's true.

You are right though. An abstraction would be is pretty useless if it didn’t have a word to represent its meaning. We can recall visual memories to recognize what apples, roses, sunsets, and blood have in common or to recognize what egg yolks, ripe bananas, and ripe lemons have in common without the use of words. However, without words to represent the meanings of those common properties it becomes difficult to recognize what those common properties have in common. Without words it would be impossible to recognize the meanings represented by the words ‘Physics Forums.’

Yeah, so my thought was that all abstract thought means is we separate a unique quality in reality, and see it independently of everything else.
Written language helps the brain create clear distinctions between these qualities, and in essence everything that exists is created a word for, and a meaning.
This meaning is derived from the person seeing it, hearing it, touching it and so forth, and then other words are used to describe it again, along with the inherent experience of it via the senses.

I hope that makes sense to everyone.

Drachir said:
When we sense a symbol it stimulates our mind to find the memory (or memories) we have previously associated with that symbol. Without such previous association a symbol would be meaningless.
That is beautifully expressed as far as my neural model can tell. I would defer though, to a statement which finalized the sequence using, Without such previous association a symbol would be without referent. I accept this necessary condition.

Drachir said:
Perhaps your use of ‘gives meaning’ is metaphoric, much as would be ‘leads to meaning’.
Very true,the term, leads to meaning, gives an indication that all paths converge at the mental state of consciously knowing, what message, a symbol or group of symbols intend to convey. Because a message is a symbol or group of symbols, the base symbols are known signals.

So we can have something called meaning, and this is where your philosophy stops, Drachir, with the claim that meanings are in the head because the base symbols are known head signals.

I agree with you, but I ask again about the hidden variables that allowed Euler entry into your book of subsequent meanings. In other words meanings are in the head does not explain everything about what we humans call - meaning.