Seeking Thermal Insulator & Electrical Insulator for Peltier Device

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a peltier device for a cooling system and the issue of the metal leads connecting the device to a power source falling off. The person is looking for a thermal and electrical insulator to coat the leads with, but has had problems with the epoxy running into the semiconductor array and shorting the device. Suggestions are given, including using a 3D model covered in wax to apply the epoxy, partially setting the epoxy before applying it to the device, and contacting epoxy manufacturers for advice. The conversation also mentions the option of using Torr-Seal or a UV LED cured glue as potential solutions.
Kvm90
Hey all,

I'm using a peltier device for a cooling system I'm working on. The metal leads connecting the peltier to a power source keep falling off. I am looking to coat them with epoxy that must be a thermal insulator. It also MUST be an electrical insulator.

The problem I've had is that the epoxys I'm using run into the p and n doped semiconductor array and short my peltier. A viscous epoxy is much needed so that no running of the epoxy into the p and n semiconductors occurs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hmm, you could seal it prior to the epoxy, but the sealant may cause trouble also.

Make a dummy 3D model of your device including the leads. Cover it in wax. Coat it with epoxy. When the expoxy dries, pull the expoxy off. It will come off because of the wax. Then this hardened "glove" should slip on over the leads of your device.

If the problem occurs when applying the eopxy, you could let your existing epoxy partially set before applying it to the Peltier module.

There are about a million different kinds of epoxy formulations. They are as common place in the electronics industry as copper. For example, the black plastic that encapsulates ICs is an epoxy resin variant. I am surprised that the ones you've tried are conductive, that is an unusual configuration for these resins. Anyway, I can pretty much guarantee that there is one that will work and be easy to use. The problem is selecting one of the many options.

Frankly, I'm kind of surprised every time I read a question like this in these forums, when the answer clearly lies with people who know enough about epoxies to name at least 10 different flavors. That's not us.

1) Try google.com, there's a lot more useful information there about specific products and common engineering solutions. Look at the manufacturers of the products you are curious about and read the technical information they have posted.

2) Call or email (calling is better IMO) the applications engineers at one of the many epoxy manufacturers. Here's one place you can start with:
https://www.masterbond.com/techtips/optimizing-electrical-electronic-insulation-properties-epoxies

3) For questions about TEC installation and use, you can call TEC manufacturers, like Marlow.
https://blog.marlow.com/topic/technical-library

Notice on both of the pages I linked to they have prominently displayed their contact phone number. It's their job to help you choose the right product. They want you to call them.

Likes phinds
Your epoxy is electrically conductive? That's weird. Try Torr-Seal, expensive but viscous and non-conductive and excellent in vacuum.
You also might try that stuff advertised on late night that is a glue material that is cured with a UV LED. Put in on upside down, cure it and then right side up.

What is a thermal insulator?

A thermal insulator is a material that prevents the transfer of heat. It has low thermal conductivity, meaning it does not allow heat to pass through it easily. Common examples of thermal insulators are air, foam, and fiberglass.

What is an electrical insulator?

An electrical insulator is a material that does not conduct electricity. It has high electrical resistance, preventing the flow of electrical current through it. Examples of electrical insulators include rubber, glass, and plastic.

Why is a thermal insulator important in a Peltier device?

A thermal insulator is important in a Peltier device because it helps maintain the temperature difference between the hot and cold sides of the device. Without a thermal insulator, heat from the hot side would be transferred to the cold side, reducing the efficiency of the device.

Why is an electrical insulator important in a Peltier device?

An electrical insulator is important in a Peltier device because it prevents electrical current from flowing between the hot and cold sides. This is important because the Peltier effect relies on the flow of electrical current to create the temperature difference between the two sides. If the two sides were to come into contact, the device would not work properly.

What are some common materials used as thermal and electrical insulators in Peltier devices?

Some common materials used as thermal and electrical insulators in Peltier devices include ceramics, glass, mica, and certain types of plastic. These materials have low thermal conductivity and high electrical resistance, making them effective insulators for the device.