EPQ: Mathematical model of tea bag diffusion

In summary: For this project, I have to go beyond just plotting graphs and finding line of best fit. So I want to explore different mathematical models that could fit the data I have. In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's research on the derivation of the diffusion equation and their desire to find a mathematical model that can accurately fit their data for the concentration of tea as a function of time. They have considered using an ODE and dimensional analysis, but are open to suggestions for other techniques or methods. They also briefly touch on the concept of partial differential equations and the use of Wolfram Alpha for more complex integrations.
Planckian
I've done some research, and I've looked at the derivation of the diffusion equation, but I don't want to reproduce even a more simple version of it. I'd like something that can I do almost exclusively myself. The point of this is not to plot some graphs, and extract some line of best fit or exponential equation, but to work toward a model (tea concentration as a function of time, probably) that can fits data, with improvements being made accordingly. I've tried the Rayleigh method of dimensional analysis as a start, but with few variables, I couldn't see it though. So, are there any mathematical techniques/methods that you guys suggest I could use, or anything else? I'm not looking at something exact, but maybe an approximation for a cylinder, or sphere, maybe. Thanks so much.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would solve for concentration left in the bag C(t) by solving the ODE
##\frac{dC}{dt} = -kC## where k is a constant.
That is the simplest solution I can think of for the situation without the diffusion eq.

Shinaolord said:
I would solve for concentration left in the bag C(t) by solving the ODE
##\frac{dC}{dt} = -kC## where k is a constant.
That is the simplest solution I can think of for the situation without the diffusion eq.

I'm in high/secondary school, so I'm know expert in solving, but I know what it involves. Anyway, I had considered that, but would it not just give something of the form c(t)=c(0)*e^(-kt)? Or are you saying that k is a function of all of my other variables (temp, volume..)?

K would be based off of the data, say you had 60% of the tea left After 40 seconds. That would allow k to be found. With all of those variables, I don't think an OdE would be sufficient.

Shinaolord said:
K would be based off of the data, say you had 60% of the tea left After 40 seconds. That would allow k to be found. With all of those variables, I don't think an OdE would be sufficient.

Ah, I see, but having second thoughts, I don't thing it will work because it models a drop in concentration, whereas diffusing tea would result in conc increasing, and thereafter plateauing, right?

Well, the concentration of the tea left in the bag is decreasing as it dilutes with the water. It would have a minimum, when the water has the same concentration as the bag has left. If we were talking about the waters concentration, you would be correct. ( it would increase and plateau)
Either way is a valid model.

Shinaolord said:
Well, the concentration of the tea left in the bag is decreasing as it dilutes with the water. It would have a minimum, when the water has the same concentration as the bag has left. If we were talking about the waters concentration, you would be correct. ( it would increase and plateau

Yeah, I;m talking about the water's conc

Shinaolord said:
Well, the concentration of the tea left in the bag is decreasing as it dilutes with the water. It would have a minimum, when the water has the same concentration as the bag has left. If we were talking about the waters concentration, you would be correct. ( it would increase and plateau)
Either way is a valid model.

I've been sitting here all day, not really sure where to go (well, I have a few ideas), but are you sure there isn't anything else you know of? It doesn't have to be simple

If I knew pde'a possibly. I'm trying to find a good diff eq to model it.
Edited for spelling.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Shinaolord said:
If I knew pde'a possibly. I'm trying to find a gold diff eq to model it.

Not sure what that means, but, ok

Something such as ##\frac{dC}{dt} = -k(C-100)## where I chose 100 because I wanted it to max at 100%.
Graph the solution of that. Does that look like you would expect? I can graph it for you if you can't.

pDE are partial differential equations, like the diffusion equation with ##\partial## derivatives. It's higher level math.

Edited for correct signs.
My previous post should've said good model not gold lol.

Last edited:
Shinaolord said:
Something such as ##\frac{dC}{dt} = -k(y-100)## where I chose 100 because I wanted it to max at 100%.
Graph the solution of that. Does that look like you would expect? I can graph it for you if you can't.

pDE are partial differential equations, like the diffusion equation with ##\partial## derivatives. It's higher level math.

Edited for correct signs.
My previous post should've said good model not gold lol.

Thanks, will look at it. What is y? Just a constant?

Well y is the concentration of tea in the water. You can use c' and c if that makes it clearer for you.

Edit my bad. I see what you meant. I fixed my previous post.

Shinaolord said:
Well y is the concentration of tea in the water. You can use c' and c if that makes it clearer for you.

Edit my bad. I see what you meant. I fixed my previous post.

If I integrate, I get c(t)=kt(100-y). I already have a c term. So is y the same thing? Thanks

So you know, the solution is ##C =p*e^{-kt}+100 ## where p is a constant, and e the natural base =2.7... . Since at t=0 there is no tea in the water, we have p*e^0t+100=0 which is the same as p+100=0. So p=-100.

Last edited:
Planckian said:
If I integrate, I get c(t)=kt(100-y). I already have a c term. So is y the same thing? Thanks
These integrations are more complex than that. Have you heard of wolfram alpha? It should give a step by step solution so you can see. P.s. At high school leve, this math is totally unnecessary. It's 2nd/3rd year college lvl.

Shinaolord said:
These integrations are more complex than that. Have you heard of wolfram alpha? It should give a step by step solution so you can see. P.s. At high school leve, this math is totally unnecessary. It's 2nd/3rd year college lvl.

For this project, I have to go beyond what I know

Ok. Well the graph should look like this; is it what you expect?
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1407606257.679452.jpg

Shinaolord said:
Ok. Well the graph should look like this; is it what you expect?
View attachment 72031

Wow. Thanks

Your welcome. I hope that was what you're looking for! :)

Planckian said:
Wow. Thanks

Do you think there's an good way of incorporating variables like temp and volume of water?

Not that I know of. You could wait until someone more knowledgeable replies though. I'm not sure if it's possible.

Shinaolord said:
Not that I know of. You could wait until someone more knowledgeable replies though. I'm not sure if it's possible.

Thanks so much. This was very nearly going to be a wasted day(!)

Your welcome. Differential equations are fascinating, they make math wonderous in my opinion.

Shinaolord said:
Your welcome. Differential equations are fascinating, they make math wonderous in my opinion.

Agreed

1. What is an EPQ and why is it important?

An EPQ, or Extended Project Qualification, is a research-based project that students in the UK can undertake in their final year of high school. It allows them to explore a topic of interest in depth and develop critical thinking and research skills that are valuable for university and beyond.

2. What is a mathematical model and how is it used in the study of tea bag diffusion?

A mathematical model is a representation of a real-world system using mathematical equations and relationships. In the study of tea bag diffusion, a mathematical model can be used to describe the process of how the components of tea leaves diffuse into hot water and how their concentration changes over time.

3. What factors are included in the mathematical model of tea bag diffusion?

The mathematical model of tea bag diffusion includes factors such as the size and shape of the tea bag, temperature of the water, type of tea leaves, and the diffusion coefficient of the components in the tea leaves. Other factors that may affect the diffusion process, such as stirring or agitation, can also be included in the model.

4. How accurate is the mathematical model of tea bag diffusion?

The accuracy of the mathematical model depends on the assumptions and parameters used in the model. In order to increase accuracy, real-world data can be collected and compared to the model's predictions. Any discrepancies can then be used to adjust the model and improve its accuracy.

5. What are the potential applications of the mathematical model of tea bag diffusion?

The mathematical model of tea bag diffusion can be used to optimize the brewing process for different types of tea, as well as to predict the concentration of components in the tea at different points in time. It can also be applied to other areas, such as studying the diffusion of other substances in liquids or the release of medication from a patch or capsule.