1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Epsilon and Delta Proof

1. Sep 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am currently having problems with a similar question, and used that post, but I'm finding it hard to solve for x.

the question states. if f(x) = 1/x for every x > 0, there is a positive quantity e (epsilon), find the d(delta) quatity such that

if 0 < l x - 3 l < d, then l 1/x - 1/3 l < e

i simplify l 1/x - 1/3 l < e to l (x - 3)/ 3x l < e, i put the x - 3 in brackets to show that is all over the 3x

then show the relation between d = e, which is if l x - 3 l < d, and l (x - 3)/3x l < e
    then l d/3x l = e.

I think I am almost there just need a couple pointers in the right direction i believe.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2010 #2
    Use the fact that x is positive to show that l (x - 3)/3x l = |x - 3|/3x < d/3x. Note that d should be defined by an inequality (a continuous range of values for each e), not an equality.
    These types of proofs are usually done backwards.
    Use a scratch-pad to note that if we want the expression to be bounded by e and the expression is necessarily bounded by d/3x, then we want d/3x < e, which implies d < (some expression involving e).
    On the real proof, you then magically say "Let d < (that expression involving e)." and then proceed to show that the expression satisfies the inequality.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook