1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Epsilon and delta

1. Jan 31, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For the limit below, find values of δ that correspond to the ε values.
    symimage.gif

2. Relevant equations
    epsilon = .5
    and
    epsilon = .05

3. The attempt at a solution
    These kinds of problems do you have to use a graphing calculator to figure it out?
    for epsilon = .05
    |(9x + x - 3x^3)-7|<.05
    6.95<(9+x-3x^3)<7.05

and I graph it, i get x = about -.75548, y=6.95
    x = -.73803, y=7.05

i get |x-1|<0.2619

but its incorrect

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2010 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Algebra could be used, couldn't it? Isn't solving quadratic inequalities one of the things they teach in pre-calculus?

(I haven't checked your arithmetic, I'm assuming it's right)

Anyways, you are misunderstand something. You did discover* that the interval** (-7.55, -7.39) does have the property that, for every x in it, f(x) lies within the interval (6.95, 7.95).

But that interval is not described by the inequality |x-1|<0.2619....

*: Well, more precisely, you have some evidence to suggest it. To really be confident in it, you have to find some algebraic proof, or a deeper understanding of approximations and conic functions.
    **: Of course, you found a slightly larger interval, but the difference isn't really relevant.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  4. Jan 31, 2010 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Try again! First off, those values are nowhere near 1. That should have been a first hint. Secondly, those values do not yield anything close to 7. The values for 9+x-3x3 for x=-0.75548 and x=-0.73803 are 2.538 and 2.438.

You made another mistake here. -0.75-1=-1.75, not 0.25.

5. Jan 31, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Try considering three separate limits and make use of the triangle inequality to find a delta that'll work for a given epsilon. That way you won't have a hard cubic to solve.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook